Les paul - arm pain

What's Hot
blackblack Frets: 74
hi all - I've had a very nice les paul custom for a number of years that I have an on/off relationship with. But it's a cool guitar and I really want to try and like it.

just recently ive given it a proper go, out of case, new strings, fretboard oiled, action and pickup height sorted, the works.

however I'm a home hobbyist guitarist and play mostly sat down - having used the les paul exclusively over the last couple of weeks I find the upper bout is digging into my forearm and actually cutting off circulation to my hand, or certainly making my wrist and hand ache at any rate.

Is this just me being weird or have other people experienced the same. Or should I just stand up?

thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3323
    I can’t speak for all but it’s certainly one of the reasons I personally don’t like les Pauls. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blackblack Frets: 74
    Makes you realise what a genius design the stratocaster is!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited March 2018
    Probably unfair to blame the guitar. Much more likely that you're applying too much pressure with your arm. In terms of playing a solid body, I play Les Pauls almost exclusively, and have never managed to block off my arm's blood supply.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    I’m currently contemplating buying my 5th Les Paul. As a Strat player - they just feel ‘so’ wrong - but having tried many options, nothing else really sounds like one.

I gigged one in the ‘80s and found that when I was standing, the ergonomics weren’t too bad. Seated, it was a very different story.

If you really want ‘that’ sound - I’d recommend you persevere with it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I will certainly try to adjust my arm position to compensate. Thanks for the responses!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    I don't think it's the guitar, or nobody would be able to play acoustic guitars sitting down.

Guitars with rounded edges or forearm contours are actually quite rare in the grand scheme of things. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate playing my dreadnought sitting down. Although I've seen 12-year-olds do it so I suppose it's possible. Little shits.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think I've got to the root of the problem (surprisingly quickly for me lol) - in the past I've always used the pickguard to rest my little finger on when playing, on any guitar that is. 

then a couple of years ago I read a book by Howard Roberts I think it was where he said you should never rest any part of the picking hand on the guitar when playing because it stops free articulation of the pick or something. 

So I changed my picking style and never had a problem. BUT I've hardly played this guitar in that time and now I think what I'm doing is using my forearm as a pivot to keep the picking hand in the air. Going back to my old style tonight for 10 minutes I could feel the lack of pressure on my forearm and it immediately felt a lot better.

so I'm going to stick to that for a couple of weeks and see if it's sorted.

thanks for the input and apologies to Les for implying his guitar wasn't up to scratch  :3
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    "free articulation of the pick"??? i've always rested my pinky finger on the pickguard of every guitar...always found it helps with my accuracy of hitting the right strings...glad you sorted that out, it would be a shame to lose favour with a guitar like that.
  • Try a Junior, or a Lite version and stand up. Seems to work better for me anyway. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    try picking at the fretboard/body union. It may help but above all will improve your arpeggiated picking no end...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I can't play anything without an "arm cut" that isn't the size of an acoustic or jazz mama without this discomfort.

:(

Had to pass on some lovely guitars over the years as a result.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Am I the only one who is completely baffled by this problem as described by the OP? A teacher would know what to look for so that might be a worthwhile path to pursue. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Rocker said:
    Am I the only one who is completely baffled by this problem as described by the OP? A teacher would know what to look for so that might be a worthwhile path to pursue. 
    Not at all. I don't get my circulation cut but I do find Les Pauls uncomfortable in that way and acoustics even more so.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    @black do you use a stool for seared playing?

I used to find a stool very uncomfortable for seated playing any longer than about 10 minutes. It might be worth trying a chair with a backrest. I find a normal dining chair much more supportive and comfy and puts the guitar in a more comfortable position too, it might help.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    Rocker said:
    I tend to agree, it's a posture issue rather than a guitar issue. That's just what guitars look like and always have. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    p90fool said:
    Rocker said:
    I tend to agree, it's a posture issue rather than a guitar issue. That's just what guitars look like and always have. 
    Wouldn't that mean he would get the problem with every guitar then?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    samzadgan said:b
    "free articulation of the pick"??? i've always rested my pinky finger on the pickguard of every guitar...always found it helps with my accuracy of hitting the right strings...glad you sorted that out, it would be a shame to lose favour with a guitar like that.
    I'm another pinky rester for the same reasons.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Rocker said:
    Yup me too..clearly it's a posture thing as said previously. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Depending on how the top carve is done, the traditional LP top has a dished surface, resulting in a raised edge where your arm rests.  That alone creates quite a bit of extra pressure, especially when playing seated.