Les Paul Custom on the bay.

What's Hot
scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
Being a massive sucker for a white LPC, I noticed this one on the bay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-custom-1990-with-h-c/253468188031?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
It all seems a bit odd that the guy had a quite new guitar which yellowed (as they do) very quickly which he then re-painted, plus how come it no longer has gold parts,etc. But leaving that aside, it  (i) is cheap and (ii) presents a potentially brill project to respray in faded yellow and beat it up a bit - sort of like a steve jones rep.
So, anyone have any thoughts on the guitar? is it genuine? more importantly(and maybe this should be in making and modding) how tricky is it to paint a les paul and get the binding right?
cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72400
    Genuine.

The finish damage at the headstock is actually quite a good sign - to me it looks like the neck has been flexed fairly heavily, most likely when the chip out of the end of the headstock was done, and has cracked the finish and sprung off the paint on the bass side - but *without* breaking the headstock. This means that it's one of the stronger ones, they do vary drastically.

Personally, I really dislike overly yellowed white Customs as well, so I can understand why he would have it refinished - although it hasn't been done all that well. Doing it again is not that easy though. There are a couple of experts here who will be able to give more advice - @lonestar, @lamf68, apologies to anyone else I can't think of at the moment!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    I think it's the real thing. Even the case is the right age for the guitar.

A refinish would be a great opportunity to paint it black. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16692
    Yeah, genuine and an easy refin project.  I took the neck wear to be the painter having issues with binding
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31600
    It looks genuine to me, and better than an aged, rancid dairy product original finish one. 

Could be a bit of a bargain for someone. 
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    thanks chaps. Bids have just jumped up 120 quid, so maybe I should have kept quiet! :) anyway, i'd love to get stuck into it as a project. 
    make that 250 quid!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    He says in the description that the gold plating had worn and then been removed. Not uncommon on an LP this age, the gold finish is only thin electroplating and can wear off pretty quickly, especially if you sweat a fair bit. It also looks really naff on a white guitar, so that’s saved the buyer a job.  ;)
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    I did a Steve Jones Replica for myself a while back, it’s the guitar in my profile pic, was originally black couple of pics below in the album
    https://imgur.com/a/qt2Zp
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    lamf68 said:
    I did a Steve Jones Replica for myself a while back, it’s the guitar in my profile pic, was originally black couple of pics below in the album
    if you ever sell ..first dibs...my dream guitar...
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    scalino65 said:
    make that 250 quid!

Will probably go for silly money - Ebay can be nuts at times.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    mark123 said:
    lamf68 said:
    There was a 68 LPC near me for 1100 ono recently, had a neck repair but looked totally solid, nicely yellowed. Damn shame, could have scoped it out for you!
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    scalino65 said:
    thanks chaps. Bids have just jumped up 120 quid, so maybe I should have kept quiet! :) anyway, i'd love to get stuck into it as a project. 
    Never, ever post good eBay desks here unless you have no interest in turn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    mark123 said:
    lamf68 said:
    There was a 68 LPC near me for 1100 ono recently, had a neck repair but looked totally solid, nicely yellowed. Damn shame, could have scoped it out for you!
    a real 68? Didnt know that they came in white back then. In any event all I can say is bugger,bugger,bugger as it sounds perfect!!!! cheers
    Will
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    scalino65 said:
    mark123 said:
    lamf68 said:
    a real 68? Didnt know that they came in white back then. In any event all I can say is bugger,bugger,bugger as it sounds perfect!!!! cheers
    Will
    Hell no, a reissue!

=) 
    mort said:
    scalino65 said:
    make that 250 quid!

Will probably go for silly money - Ebay can be nuts at times.
    I'm sure that you're right. I mean, I reckon I could buy a 90s LPC for 1800 on a good day. So, applying what I've always thought was kind of a rule of thumb for refins, then 900 quid would be a good buy on this. But that doesnt factor in refin costs. i reckon I'd spend 100 quid on materials if I did it myself with a hmm...75% chance I'd be happy with my diy result. So say a grand for it all up. That sounds like a billy bargain to me at that money, but the buyer is still taking a massive chance on buying unplayed.
    Reckon it'll go for a fair bit more than that though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72400
    Anything over about £900 is too much for this I think, and it's at £885 already.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Over the 900 mark now, I reckon it will go for over a grand.

I was watching a used Vox amp a few days ago, £29 start price. They sell for £59.99 new on Amazon,  delivered.

Ended up going for £71.13
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    £1220.  =)
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    mort said:
    £1220.  =)
     :o  :#
    Hmm..seller did well i think. Fair enough if you like the existing finish, but too high for me.