NGD - 2010 Gibson LP Standard

What's Hot
NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
https://imgur.com/a/LEk6t

I’ve been itching for a Standard again lately - I bought one new in 2016 and although it was an amazing guitar, I ran a jam night among other things and found I kept looking over my shoulder to make sure it was still there/not damaged (that’s without anyone else playing it mind you); it got to the point where I got nervous taking it anywhere. I sold it in the early half of 2017 and that was that. Since then a few Vintage/Epi copies have passed through my hands (they were nice enough) and last autumn I picked up a new Gibson Tribute T which is a great guitar for the money.

However, I felt the Standard itch again recently. There’s something about a Standard that I can’t get from another guitar - the sound, the feel and the look, as well as the wow factor of having a great guitar. Plus this time, I wanted one with a few marks and some years on it, so that I wouldn’t be afraid to take it anywhere and subject it to the usual bumps and bashes.

Step forward this 2010 example in Iced Tea Burst from Guitar Guitar. I paid a little more for it than I would have ideally liked (considering it had no case) but I bought one to go with it and it arrived today. The top looks better in the flesh than online as their pics didn’t do it justice, and it plays and sounds superb. Been having fun with it most of the afternoon and I’ve not long put it down to write this.

Now, I know the post 2008 LPs (quite apart from Gibson as a whole) get a bashing from the purists, but putting all the ultra modern weight relief/locking tuners/Burst Buckers/locking input jacks/PCBs to one side - it’s a superb guitar. It sounds like a Les Paul should - unmistakeably so, and certainly looks the part in my eyes. I think the neck is more 50s, compared to the 60s neck on my Tribute T, but it’s not that much of an issue for me. It has the weird see through control cavity plate, but I can live with that.

In fact, I’m delighted with it, props to Guitar Guitar for their service and I can’t wait to gig it next weekend...
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4102
    Looks fantastic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2018
    Good score.

ive had two LP’s post 2008. A 2013 Trad Pro II that looked great but sounded awful and my 2017 Classic which is one of the best LP’s I’ve ever played. I think as long as you avoid the more lunatic featureset of the 2015. Your fine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    @fastonebaz @jeztone2 Thanks both - funnily enough I was recently looking at a 2017 Classic which looked fantastic but as I was procrastinating, someone else bought it from under my nose...
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2018
    They are really nice guitars. The asymmetrical slim taper neck is really nice. Playable, but not too skinny. I tried one on a whim last year after a meeting in London. Then went on the iPad and bought one on the train home. Only thing I found was the hot 57 Classic plus pickup in the bridge wasn’t to my taste. So I put a set of Lollar Imperials in. 
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Very very nice! 

Can recommend speaking to Ash and dropping in a set of his Masterwound Tubesnakes ;)
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    ellwood said:
    Very very nice! 

Can recommend speaking to Ash and dropping in a set of his Masterwound Tubesnakes ;)
    Thanks - I’ll bear that in mind for the future...