String Gauge Questions

What's Hot
ash96ash96 Frets: 61
I currently use 10s on my strats / teles etc.
I'm going to start tuning down to Eb for my functions band for some of it so I'm thinking I'll probably need to up this to 11s? Would 11-52 feel alright? I'll probably also use it for an originals band which will be Drop Db too. 

Is it going to be a similar tension in standard tuning? Guessing the low E(b) will be higher tension, but thats fine, I'd rather it handle the Drop D ok too.

Would it be pushing it to take it down to D standard too?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4102
    I use 10s regular slinkies downtuned to Eb and they're great.   Admittedly not on a strat though
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72399
    As a rough rule of thumb, a semitone down and a gauge up will give the same tension and feel.

You may have to widen the nut grooves slightly, depending on how the nut has been cut at the factory.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    ICBM said:
    As a rough rule of thumb, a semitone down and a gauge up will give the same tension and feel.

You may have to widen the nut grooves slightly, depending on how the nut has been cut at the factory.
    Awesome, I thought that was the case. I'm going to get it set up anyway so wanted to check. I'll give the 11-52 a go to start with as that might cover the best of both.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I play my Tele in a covers band in Eb and I use 11-49 and they feel great. On my LP/SG in my originals band I use 11-54 in drop Db and they feel equally great apart from the .022 G which is too much and I use a .020 instead.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    If you want to get finicky about it, you can check the tension here - http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html
    Going up a gauge like that is slightly stiffer if you just drop a semitone, from 50 lbs to 56 lbs of tension.
    If you've still got it strung w/ 10s I think you should try dropping it a semitone first and seeing if that feels good first. Then go up a gauge if not. Personally I keep same gauge if going down just a semitone.