Incoming: Modified Hofner 173

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
edited March 2018 in Guitar

All being well, this will be with me at the weekend, courtesy of @bassbora

It's had 3 DiMarzio humbuckers and a set ofSchaller machineheads fitted (along with a refinish) at some point in the late '70's.

It's one of the later models with larger headstock and single dot markers (as opposed to the '60's catalogue image below).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    I am only the go between. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    I actually quite like that... it looks done to a decent standard. It has to be said that these are not particularly rare, and the original pickups have a habit of failing - and are often microphonic anyway - so it’s not that much of a crime.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    ICBM said:
    I actually quite like that... it looks done to a decent standard. It has to be said that these are not particularly rare, and the original pickups have a habit of failing - and are often microphonic anyway - so it’s not that much of a crime.

Indeed. I really like the vibrato system on these (and Galaxies, etc) - very smooth and fluid.

Re. pickups - it's almost 50/50 on any Hofner of that age whether they're dead or not...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673

Re. pickups - it's almost 50/50 on any Hofner of that age whether they're dead or not...
    Worse that that I think!

I had a Galaxie about twenty years ago, and even back then all three were dead.

The DiMarzios on this one remind me of my first Hofner - unfortunately it was a 1959 President, and whoever fitted them found that to get them in they had to cut through some bits of wood that were in the way. They were the top braces :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whoops!

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Nice! I had a Hagstrom II that had been modified in exactly the same way. Schaller tuners and creme Dimarzio Paf(pro?) and Super Distortion.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    I had a red Hofner V3 back in the day .ii was a bit clunky .
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    refinish
    Mmm. White undercoat. Ideal for your favourite graphic illustrator to paint designs all over. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Sunday will be interesting. Is fb going to tell H7 he needs to stop finding interesting guitars or tell him he is the absolute master of finding random stuff. I am disappointed he has not mentioned the other item 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    bassbora said:
    Sunday will be interesting. Is fb going to tell H7 he needs to stop finding interesting guitars or tell him he is the absolute master of finding random stuff. I am disappointed he has not mentioned the other item 
    Is it SFW?
    Lets see if H7 will comment on the second guitar 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3606
    Thats a Land Rover guitar, you can fix yhose with a hammer.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    Hamer? Oh yeah I got 5 of them from H7 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @bassbora Hmmmm...the second guitar...

Nah..I’ll leave that until Sunday! ;)

@bassbora Hmmmm...the second guitar...

Nah..I’ll leave that until Sunday! ;)
    Word