Sandwiches

What's Hot
fandangofandango Frets: 2204
What's people's view on sandwiches? Favourite fillings? Supermarket sandwiches? Healthy options? Bread choice? Butter? Mayo?

For me butter is a no-no, but partial to mayo - the proper normal stuff not the 'light' or 'low fat' nonsense.

There used to be a time when a simple ham sandwich (with a little mayo) floated the boat, but now like something a little out of the ordinary.

For a short while, I took advantage of Morrison's meal deal for £3, but got bored with the same sandwich options day after day. And they've got some sort of margarine/flora spread in them which put me off.

Who else is fed up with the usual - cheese/pickle, egg mayo, chicken salad, prawn, tuna variations, more chicken variations?

Who does the homemade thing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Make um at home each work day. Proper healthy breads, butter and whatever you like a s fillings. I try to include fresh veg/salad at least twice a week if not more. You are what you eat. I should eat less bread I suppose, but I'm doing better than some and have the choice.
    Today was roast beef, horsradish sauce, tomato, lettuce and cress in brown wholemeal doorsteps.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited March 2018
    Ate them for years. For packed lunch at school and most of my working life for lunch. Gave them up for lunch 12 months ago. I just have a tin of soup and 2 rounds of bread. I  was 84kg now  I'M  76 kg. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    JAYJO said:
    Ate them for years. For packed lunch at school and most of my working life for lunch. Gave them up for lunch 12 months ago. I just have a tin of soup and 2 rounds of bread. was 84kg now 76 kg. 
    That's a lot of bread, even if you have cut down. The slices must be huge.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I don't often eat sandwiches, but when I do:
    • home-made ones are either bacon/egg sarnies (see the other thread) or ham/whatever other cooked meat took my fancy in the farm shop. Proper butter, salt, black pepper, wholemeal bread.
    • shop-bought ones are only for when I need food and can't find anything else that's convenient. I wish they'd put proper butter in, not that mayo crap. Some of the Sainsbury's fillings are OK, I rather like the salmon&cucumber - so long as I can add salt to it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    The main place for shop bought sandwiches near my office is Asda. Bleugh. If I need to do that I buy a fresh wholemeal roll and a little tub of salad with boiled eggs instead. Not very exciting but nicer and costs about the same .

I do sometimes make them to bring in but they are pretty functional stave off hunger type jobs. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27037
    I"m celiac, so can't eat most bread and thus don't eat sandwiches often (and GF sandwiches generally suck), but when I do it's bacon & fried egg & ketchup, or fish fingers with tartar sauce & ketchup, or egg mayo, or cheese & ham & lettuce & toms. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941

Tesco £3.00 meal deal: Prawn & mayo, bag of Walkers prawn cocktail & a bottle orange juice.

Homemade BLTs with lightly toasted cooled wholegrain bread are the biz.

• Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Leftover lasagne, chuck a lump inbetween two slices of buttered bread with a bit of mayonnaise.
    Guaranteed the best sandwich you will ever have.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    mayonnaise = YUK!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    My favourite is pastrami, gherkins, cheese and mustard mayo with a bit of dill.  Or homemade egg with salad cream which is superior to egg mayo I believe.
    edited March 2018
    Cucumber lightly salted on white bread.

• m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    I've been enjoying the simplicity of cheese and ham lately.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    scrumhalf said:
    JAYJO said:
    Ate them for years. For packed lunch at school and most of my working life for lunch. Gave them up for lunch 12 months ago. I just have a tin of soup and 2 rounds of bread. was 84kg now 76 kg. 
    That's a lot of bread, even if you have cut down. The slices must be huge.
    LOL. Amended.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Tough to beat the subtle, light luncheon provided by a decent Wigan Kebab.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

My all time favourite:

Large Doner Kebab in a Naan bread with chilli sauce and salad

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Ham, elemental and English mustard

Also I don't use normal bread and I don't have butter. I use Warburtons sandwich Thins (brown bread).

Mmm brown bread.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22138
    White bread. Butter Marmite. Warm herbed sausage. Result. 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16685
    I did home made saltbeef and coleslaw the other day... that was rather good.

favourite warm sandwich is a philly cheese steak
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Proper bread, real butter, edam cheese, fresh tomato, diced onion/spring onions, touch of salt. Yum 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Fish finger sandwich, soft white bread. Some ketchup, but only on half of it (the half you eat last).