Freshening up an older but not vintage guitar

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
Where do people stand on this? 

Say you've got a Fender Strat from the 90s, it's almost 30 years old now, so lots of the hardware is tarnished/rusty, screws on the pickguard, saddle grub screws etc - it's nowhere near being vintage (in the sense of value).

Do you replace the little bits that you can? New screws etc, or do you keep it all original from the ground up until the day it dies?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
    Update and keep old parts.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Jesus, just chuck it all in an ultrasonic bath.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Replace any bits that don't work properly but leave the rest, is the approach I have taken. Don't think it matters either way, but I suspect shiny screws have no mojo.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    Same approach as if it’s vintage.   Fix it if you can, replace it if you can’t.

Patina and wear is not a fault to me... but if it’s full on rust then it’s getting there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    As bluechargeboy and Wez said.

I would clean it thoroughly - if necessary removing screws to get the rust off them - leave any parts that are still functional and replace any that aren’t.

If the bridge saddle height screws are too rusted to turn but are set correctly anyway, leave them in place.

I usually don’t keep original parts that have been removed because by that definition they’re knackered. I might if it’s pots from a vintage guitar that have date codes, but that’s about all. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein