23:20 john mayer is live on Instagram talking about his new PRS if anyone cares.

What's Hot
markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591

I'm sure it will be on his account later.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
    edited March 2018
    markblack said:

I'm sure it will be on his account later.
    Just about to post this, expect it on Youtube later somehow too. John talks about:

Why he left Fender - actually sounds sensible.

Detail about the design philosophy of the Silver Sky guitar from: cosmetic appearance and colours, bottom cut-away contour, to electronics and hardware and why 7.25 radius and why 3 on 3 headstock...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    It comes across so much better from John, talking about it honestly than PRS's nonsense hyperbole. 

Anyone can see it's basically just an updated/pimped strat. 

IMO they should have had something like this video ready to roll for the launch.

The headstock looks less weird in video than in photos, but it still offends my OCD.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2386
    Not sure I can listen to another 40 mins on this guitar lol.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my-QGN_ufR0
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    Interesting to see on the video that John Mayer himself has been reversed - not just his headstock....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    The amount that people are talking about this guitar you’d swear he’s the only player out there just now. I’m actually starting to wish Jo Bo would release another signature epiphone 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It comes across so much better from John, talking about it honestly than PRS's nonsense hyperbole. 

Anyone can see it's basically just an updated/pimped strat. 

IMO they should have had something like this video ready to roll for the launch.

The headstock looks less weird in video than in photos, but it still offends my OCD.
    Completely agree, didn’t they only do a video with John’s tech? I’m  really not sure why PRS didn’t do clips with John like this from the beginning. 

Perhaps the headstock looked less weird because it was flipped back over and looked like a normal PRS one?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I’ll give it a listen later - don’t mind Mayer these days, he seems to have a little more self awareness and depreciation than years ago. 

The only reason I’ve come to hate this guitar is because it’s responsible for that horrific PRS video of Mr Smith interviewing Mayers tech about it, and dozens of gobshite click bait “you tubers” rattling on about it though they’ve never handled the damn thing (despite the thumbnail picture)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    lonestar said:
    The amount that people are talking about this guitar you’d swear he’s the only player out there just now. I’m actually starting to wish Jo Bo would release another signature epiphone 
    You say that, wasn’t there a bit of noise about JoBo playing Fenders a while back ? 
    tFB Trader
    DrBob said:
    lonestar said:
    You say that, wasn’t there a bit of noise about JoBo playing Fenders a while back ? 
    No idea man, I must have tuned out during that too. It’s a PRS Strat with a PRS headstock. I’ll bet it plays beautifully and I’ll bet the quality is unreal. I guess I just don’t get the fuss about him. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    lonestar said:
    DrBob said:
    lonestar said:
    No idea man, I must have tuned out during that too. It’s a PRS Strat with a PRS headstock. I’ll bet it plays beautifully and I’ll bet the quality is unreal. I guess I just don’t get the fuss about him. 
    No me neither, Joe or Mayer. But I’m guessing they’re worth having on board and their names must have some tangible marketing value to PRS/Fender/Gibson etc otherwise they wouldn’t go to the effort.
    That said I do increasingly find myself wondering about the whole celebrity endorsements game lately. As someone on here pointed out, Kiefer Sutherland gets a Gibson sig ?
    tFB Trader
    DrBob said:
    lonestar said:
    DrBob said:
    lonestar said:
    No me neither, Joe or Mayer. But I’m guessing they’re worth having on board and their names must have some tangible marketing value to PRS/Fender/Gibson etc otherwise they wouldn’t go to the effort.
    That said I do increasingly find myself wondering about the whole celebrity endorsements game lately. As someone on here pointed out, Kiefer Sutherland gets a Gibson sig ?
    Oh absolutely, deals like this are good for everyone IF both sides remain grounded throughout. This leads back to the volume of signature gear out there these days... to me it’s a sign that companies are trying to outgun each other with marketing more so than the product and the artist.

And it works... 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    He can certainly talk can't he.. Some interesting bits in there, but he has massively underestimated the average guitarist's propensity for worrying about neck radii, or indeed any other nuances of the setup that could provide a potential excuse for our crappy playing.  =)

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    lonestar said:

He's released 3 since you started typing that post :D
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I agree it would of probably have cut a million forum if comments if they had just got Mayer to speak first. 
    I sort of went Meh with the silver ones but the red one he has here does it for me and frankly, I should have pushed the button and got one but that time will come, as I have only owned a partcaster as my main strat thing as found few Fenders I really liked its specced to what I wanted  I rolled the pickups till I found something I liked and it serves its  purpose.   

Have always liked PRS over the years so will probably add one of these at some point. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Usually when I watch YouTube videos where someone talks about a guitar then plays it a bit for a demo, the playing can be reasonably mediocre.

It's cool to watch one where it's one of the best players in the world doing it.

Maybe more artists should demo their own signature gear.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    PRS should have released this before anything else. It would have stopped a lot of the "it's just a strat" comments. I'm still not overly fond of the silver sky, but hearing the comments from John himself I understand the reasoning behind the guitar more.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Got to say, he made it sound great.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Bucket said:
    Agreed. And shows how much better he is than the mayer clones demoing it elsewhere!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    I really am warming to its looks...With a Fender it’s easy to change a pickguard to a colour you like though.. And I don’t really like any of the body colours if I’m honest...John did say other colours may be coming up.. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Bucket said:
    Agreed. And shows how much better he is than the mayer clones demoing it elsewhere!
    I saw the Andertons demo - everyone knows Pete is a great player but something was amiss sound-wise. I think the amp was a major part of it, using a proper Deluxe rather than that PRS amp is probably what made it sound so much better. 

The in between sounds were great - love the neck/middle for Slow Dancing in a Burning Room.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."