SG with a chunky neck, classic pickups - 61 Reissue?

What's Hot
I really enjoy the general vibe from Les Pauls. I've really got one 'slot' left in my arsenal which is for a classically appointed axe. I was originally thinking of a LP Traditional or similar, but I realised I started off on an old Epiphone G400 way back in the day, and it would appear that the 61 Reissues might fit the bill nicely - Classic 57's, thick neck and so on. 

The last time I played one was when I was really early in my guitar-playing odyssey - so thought might put to the combined wisdom of the forum. What's the neck dive like? Are there particular years to look for/avoid?

Cheers,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    Neck dive seems to vary from SG to SG, but the '61 reissues certainly don't have chunky necks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree! Is there a particular SG I should be looking at or is it a lost cause?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You could look at SG Standards, Specials and Classics (if you like P-90s) from the '90s and '00s, before they started changing the entire range every year like they do now.

They had an "SG Rounded" neck profile which wasn't huge but certainly bigger than the "'60s" and/or "slim-taper" neck which the '61 Reissue always had, and almost all SGs have nowadays.  I'm not expert enough to comment on particular years.

For me personally, I'd have to say it may be a lost cause - I prefer a really big neck and that's virtually impossible to find on an SG.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    I would play a '61RI and see if the neck bothers you - it's not chunky, but neither is it super-skinny. I've played quite a few of them and without exception they've all been outstanding guitars - unlike any other Gibson model I can think of.

Unfortunately I don't get on with the neck being so far to the left on an SG or I'd probably own one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The 50s tribute SGs had a huge neck... But came with P90s. 
    That said, SGs & P90s are a match made in heaven. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    ICBM said:
    I would play a '61RI and see if the neck bothers you - it's not chunky, but neither is it super-skinny. I've played quite a few of them and without exception they've all been outstanding guitars - unlike any other Gibson model I can think of.

Fair point, I should have said I have no complaints about them at all... other than the neck profile.

I did see a Pelham Blue, aged Custom Shop SG on the Wildwood website recently which had a '59 profile neck.  I wanted it badly, but it was $4,899 before even thinking about import costs and CITES... it's gone now.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2018
    '60s necks are generally much skinnier. Not Ibanez size but not a tree trunk either, if that's what you're looking for. I tend to prefer '50s necks too. Not sure if there are many SGs kicking around which have them, given that the model itself only came out in 1961.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Understood, clearly I've got the wrong end of the stick - I was just hoping to avoid the extra cost of an LP over an SG for my classic-goodness :)
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Understood, clearly I've got the wrong end of the stick - I was just hoping to avoid the extra cost of an LP over an SG for my classic-goodness :)
    If you want a classic LP sound buy a LP - if you want a classic SG get a classic with P90s. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with the neck profile on an classic. Problem solved!  ;)
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • I've got a stonking Edwards LP with P90's but my main Gibson has got super-hot Lace Sensors; so I was thinking that rather than breaking it up and refitting something like OX4's, I could get a classically appointed Gibson with the thick neck and PAF-style pups in one fell swoop.

I guess an LP Trad or LP Classic needs to happen, then!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    The 50s tribute SGs had a huge neck... But came with P90s. 
    That said, SGs & P90s are a match made in heaven. 
    It is, but if you use a batwing guard you can put any pickups you like in an SG.