Setting up a mini board, need pedal suggestions...

What's Hot
samothy01samothy01 Frets: 33
Hey all,

I have my main board with all of my toys on but I'm currently looking into also setting up a more accessible mini board. The idea will be that I can use it for smaller gigs or quick rehearsals without the hassle of lugging a large board around...

Essentially, recommend me so good, cheap-ish (Maybe like £150 second-hand MAX), pedals in the following categories:
  • Boost/EQ
  • Chorus (Reaaaally like the Walrus Audio Julia but man no one wants to sell theirs, for good reason)
  • Distortion (I have a Soulfood, Atlas III and DS-1 right now so none of those I guess, open to anything)
  • Tuner (Looking at a Polytune 2 currently)
  • Maybe delay? I'm thinking I could move my Avalanche Run across when I need to? Idk, suggestions welcome
I think 5 tops will probably do it, as I'll be setting it all up on the following plank of wood...

I think I'll probably make a separate post at some point for tips on the logistics of making this into a pedalboard.

Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I’d get a Carl Martin Quattro (V2 with chorus) and a clip on tuner.
  • samothy01samothy01 Frets: 33
    simonk said:
    Not a massive fan of multi effects units, so probably no for me. Also clip on tuners won’t work in a gig situation.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited March 2018
    samothy01 said:
    simonk said:
    Not a massive fan of multi effects units, so probably no for me. Also clip on tuners won’t work in a gig situation.
    I wouldn’t class the Quattro as a multi fx... it’s four quality effects, of type you’re after, stuffed into one enclosure... with one power cable. They’re great little units IMO.

I’ve never found using a clip on tuner a problem for occasional gigs, although I wouldn’t want to use one all the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited March 2018
    What kind of distortion are you after? The Mooer Black Secret gets good reviews as a mini cheap rat with the option of standard or turbo. Mind you a new Proco Rat 2 isn't that expensive. Rats are quite versatile and sound great in a band but you have to like that sound I suppose as they're not too transparent. 
    simonk said:
    samothy01 said:
    simonk said:
    I wouldn’t class the Quattro as a multi fx... it’s four quality effects, of type you’re after, stuffed into one enclosure... with one power cable. They’re great little units IMO.

I’ve never found using a clip on tuner a problem for occasional gigs, although I wouldn’t want to use one all the time.
    I feel like your description matches exactly what a multi effects unit does haha. But not for me anyway, I don't like multiple effects units in one box! I'm skeptical about the clip on too, I'd prefer a pedal, what size gigs did you use yours for?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

TTBZ said:
    What kind of distortion are you after? The Mooer Black Secret gets good reviews as a mini cheap rat with the option of standard or turbo. Mind you a new Proco Rat 2 isn't that expensive. Rats are quite versatile and sound great in a band but you have to like that sound I suppose as they're not too transparent. 
    Y'know I've never actually tried a Rat? This may be a good time to have a little delve into them and see what they're about!

In terms of the type of distortion I want, can you find me a Chase Bliss Brothers for £100? Prolly not (but I mean, if you can.........). I guess I don't need anything high gain is the only parameter I'm setting myself, I'll have a look into the Black Secret tho!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    The circuit I continually return to is the MXR Distortion+. 

Cheap as chips, sounds great  
  • +1 on the Rat. It’s surprisingly versatile. For a tuner, consider a Sonic Research mini turbo tuner. An amazing strobe tuner, and tiny. 

And you you could try a Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo 550. That’s delay and chorus in one, and also a really, really good clean boost. 
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    For a boost. What about a tc electronic spark boost mini. I think they are great little boosters. 
    What about a Thorpy warthog for the distortion. That one can do clean boost, distortion and get fuzz tones all in the one pedal. It's just if you can find any second hand ones.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    buy a nano+ perfect grab and go size.

https://i.imgur.com/cVvoRjW.jpg
  • I've got a DD7 for sale, if you're after a delay.

I’ve done a lil bit of research and although I’m not really impressed, they are super cheap so I feel like that makes up for it! 

Im not particularly after a pedal which can go fuzzy and for what I’d  it for I think I could cover off with an even cheaper DS-1... possibly.
    +1 on the Rat. It’s surprisingly versatile. For a tuner, consider a Sonic Research mini turbo tuner. An amazing strobe tuner, and tiny. 

And you you could try a Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo 550. That’s delay and chorus in one, and also a really, really good clean boost. 
    I’ll absolutely try out a rat eventually, it’s just getting around to it! I haven’t done much research into it but am I right in saying that the sonic research tuner is quite hard to come by???

Ah my friend has a 550 and it’s superb, great recommendation.
    markr76 said:
    For a boost. What about a tc electronic spark boost mini. I think they are great little boosters. 
    What about a Thorpy warthog for the distortion. That one can do clean boost, distortion and get fuzz tones all in the one pedal. It's just if you can find any second hand ones.
    I’ve only heard great things about Thorpy Warthogs, it’s a shame they’re so elusive!
    buy a nano+ perfect grab and go size.

https://i.imgur.com/cVvoRjW.jpg
    I’m making my own board dude! See my original post.
    I've got a DD7 for sale, if you're after a delay.
    No thank you! I already have a DD-6 (I think) in storage that I MAY be tempted to get out for this board
  • samothy01 said:
    +1 on the Rat. It’s surprisingly versatile. For a tuner, consider a Sonic Research mini turbo tuner. An amazing strobe tuner, and tiny. 

I’ll absolutely try out a rat eventually, it’s just getting around to it! I haven’t done much research into it but am I right in saying that the sonic research tuner is quite hard to come by???

Ah my friend has a 550 and it’s superb, great recommendation.
    Yes, I had to order my Sonic Research direct from the manufacturer. It was worth it though. Easily the best tuner I’ve ever used. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I would go TU3 -> EP Boost -> OCD -> chorus of some type -> Carbon Copy. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6392
    Xotic XP booster and whatever else you fancy - that's my approach
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    samothy01 said:

I’ve done a lil bit of research and although I’m not really impressed, they are super cheap so I feel like that makes up for it! 

Im not particularly after a pedal which can go fuzzy and for what I’d  it for I think I could cover off with an even cheaper DS-1... possibly.

Its probably not a circuit for everyone but its absolutely the sound in my head!

I actually really like mine with the gain down really low, which is a sound I probably use even more than I use it cranked up.