Realistically how much weight can you save on a Les Paul via lightweight parts

What's Hot
I have a Trad Pro Les Paul. I just weighed it and it’s 10.8lb. I’d be happier if I could reduce that a bit.

It seems to have standard bridge and tailpiece, the timers are locking Grover Rotomatics which do look pretty bulky.

Realistically will switching out to lightweight bridge/tailpiece and tuners make a sizeable impact to the weight.

And follow on - will it drastically alter the sound, and in which way?

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Can't see it making a massive difference on weight.

Sound.. yes it could make a difference
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Realistically, not enough to matter.

But having said that, balance is very important to the perception of weight, so if you fit much lighter machineheads it *may* make a difference.

As a first step you could try changing the keys to plastic or wood - those big metal Grover ‘D’ keys weigh almost half the total for the heads. You can get replacements.

It won’t drastically alter the sound, but you may notice a change - really! The mass at the headstock does change the resonance of the neck.

A lightweight aluminium tailpiece will alter the tone too, if the stock one is the usual heavier alloy - but probably make less difference to the perceived weight because it won’t change the balance as much, if at all.

If you want to find out, next time you change the strings do a simple experiment... take the machineheads and tailpiece off and put the guitar on a strap. If it doesn’t really feel any lighter, don’t bother going any further, since changing the parts will make less difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Bulk of the weight is the body so you're unlikely to be shaving kgs off by changing the tailpiece. It was something I thought about when I weighed mine as it's roughly the same weight as yours. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    Try a Neotech Mega Bass guitar strap, it makes far more difference than a few grammes from the tailpiece. 

I have a few wide comfy straps, but the neoprene one just seems to absorb nso much of the weight, even if you don't move around much. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited March 2018
    Thanks all
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited March 2018
    I have a wide Levy’s nylon strap right now, it is ok.

To be honest it’s ok to play at home but if I want to move about when playing with a band it feels more physical than I’d want. 

It does sound great though.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    I have a 1990 LP Custom that weighs the same. Take my advice, keep it original and don't waste your money. The best investment you can make is to buy a quality wide padded strap to spread the weight more evenly and comfortably on your neck and shoulder. If you're using a thinner narrow non padded strap that change on its own will make it feel like an 8lb guitar. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    In which case try the Neotech, seriously, it's far more than just a wide strap and costs less than a new tailpiece. 

Measure your current strap though, to check whether you need the guitar or bass version. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10487
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    Try a Neotech Mega Bass guitar strap, it makes far more difference than a few grammes from the tailpiece. 

I have a few wide comfy straps, but the neoprene one just seems to absorb nso much of the weight, even if you don't move around much. 
    Those of us who do photography have benefitted by the weight relief neoprene straps for years. 20lbs of bodies, lenses,and assorted gear can be made to feel 2/3 of that weight. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Get a foam case maybe .My Midtown is often left at home because the guitar plus case come out heavy .A foam case is much lighter easier to carry and still gived decent protection .i havnt got a foam case for it but have got mainly by chance foam cases for my telecaster  and strat .
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12906
    I have a wide Levy’s nylon strap right now, it is ok.

The neoprene straps are miles better than the nylon ones.