NGD Thanks to the magic of FB

What's Hot
mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
edited March 2018 in Guitar
so managed to get this up and running this morning, @damodai sorted me out with a Joe Trohman Tele, arrived Friday, got home from work all excited plugged it in, bollox, couple of positions on the rotary not working at all. This morning decided how hard can it be, found a wiring diagram, got  the soldering iron out and now all positions work :-) but I have managed to knock the kill switch out :-( that’s a job for another day. 
It was bought with the idea of swapping the pickups out and what not but the humbuckers that are in it are really good!!! They have J5 on them so I am guessing they are the same as those for the John 5 Tele? I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me will know but they are really good, they clean up really nicely but they growl a bit when you add some dirt. 

I know, I know pics or it didn’t happen 

https://i.imgur.com/DmZJ4Zp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/72T8cGK.jpg

read all kind of good things about these and it hasn’t disappointed, the neck on it just perfect For me. 

@marktheharp pics added just for you 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    The John 5 pickups are incredible......so overlooked and misunderstood........they are very hot but you only have to wind them down on volume and they are as clean and Twangy as a decent single coil .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    @Dominic yeah I expected them to handle a bit of drive well but have to admit to being pleasantly surprised by the clarity when clean, 2 keepers both squiers, both tele’s 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792
    Nowt wrong with Squiers, looks good :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Dominic said:
    The John 5 pickups are incredible......so overlooked and misunderstood........they are very hot but you only have to wind them down on volume and they are as clean and Twangy as a decent single coil .
    That's interesting. It's against the grain but I've had a similar experience with my Wolfgang, cleans up superbly and it's a high gain 13kish pickup. Magnets not being ceramic maybe? I don't get it :)
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    clarkefan said:
    Dominic said:
    That's interesting. It's against the grain but I've had a similar experience with my Wolfgang, cleans up superbly and it's a high gain 13kish pickup. Magnets not being ceramic maybe? I don't get it :)
    I have a PRS Custom 24 Floyd with hot ceramic m pickups. On split coil mode, the cleans are beautiful. I’ve found I can get really delicate textures with those pickups. It’s funny how we’re conditioned to think something can only go one way or be one thing. I guess it’s the opposite to someone like Ted Nugent using a Gibson Byrdland jazzer for rock. 
  • Good purchase! I came VERY close to buying one of these when I decided I "needed" a HB equipped guitar. (I ended up building a Partscaster as MrsLostSon hates sunburst)
    The neck in particular is AMAZING- one of the best I've ever played. 
    Yup agreed @stimpsonslostson the neck is particularly lovely 
  • Very very nice @mikeyrob73 ;. Good score ;) .I remember trying  one at PMT a few years ago. And the neck did feel great,a descent handful. Also I'm not a lover of sunburst, but is that bound tele next to it ,a classic vibe., if so looks ace...
    Cheers Mark.
    Hey @marktheharp it is indeed a cv bound Tele, with my favourite neck of any guitar I have ever played, came from @CasperCaster on this very forum 

https://i.imgur.com/zQgmIkV.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's the one I built... The neck specs I took from the Trohman- 12" radius, jumbo frets & satin back. 
    https://i.imgur.com/39oAnLo.jpg
    That looks awesome @stimpsonslostson ;

what did that cost to build? 
  • Is MrsLostSon reading? If so £275ish...

if not... 
    Body £65 from Guitar Build in one of their happy hour sales)
    neck £90 from North West guitars- it's a b-stock one due to a TINY dent on the headstock
    pickups £70 IronGear dirty torque and blues engine
    wiring, bridge etc £25ish from my parts box
    pickguard £20 from eBay. 
    then another £90 getting a fret level, nut cut & "pro set up" at guitarguitar. 

So under £400 I think. It was fun to do. 
    That may be an idea for a project @stimpsonslostson ;
  • That may be an idea for a project @stimpsonslostson ;
    Go for it! It was surprisingly easy to do.
    The hardest bit for me of building a tele Partscaster is deciding what to put on the headstock! 
  • @mikeyrob73 it's nice to see the white CV again, and to hear its still serving you well. And the new one looks like it will rock with the best of them!