Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best delay pedal with memory?

What's Hot
RoysterdoysterRoysterdoyster Frets: 617
This has maybe been asked before but I haveno knowledge of Delays beyond dd3's,but a bit tired of having to adjust settings for different songs. Looking something decent quality but nothing that would require a lottery win. A boss giga delay? Would that do the trick? Suggestions appreciated.
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This has maybe been asked before but I haveno knowledge of Delays beyond dd3's,but a bit tired of having to adjust settings for different songs. Looking something decent quality but nothing that would require a lottery win. A boss giga delay? Would that do the trick? Suggestions appreciated.
    Second hand Line 6 M5 or Zoom Ms50 would be a good shout 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Presets or just adjust the tempo ( in which case you probably need something with tap tempo)? Budget? How complex? Any specific sounds? MIDI? 
    The big box tc’s ( Flashback 4, Alter Ego 4, Triple Delay) are easy to use and will give you three presets and fairly common. The Vox Delaylab seems to be the used bargain. The Line 6 DL4 is the daddy of this type and you still see it on pro  boards but quite an old design now and has aspects not everyone likes. 
    Mo money and mo complexity Boss DD500, Strymon, Empress, Source Audio. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
    edited March 2018
    I used to have the TC triple delay. Loved the sounds out of it.. and it was super easy to use. It's just like having three separate delay pedals. Fairly large footprint.. but you can't have it all.  3

Oh and i've had the giga-delay also. DD20 or whatever. Also fantastic. Has some of the settings from the space echo.. and a couple of whacky features which sound cool. 

For using multiple delays tho the TC has the edge over the Boss.. as you can cascade all three into each other, and run them in either series or parallel. With the Boss you have to scroll through the banks.
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
  • Presets or just adjust the tempo ( in which case you probably need something with tap tempo)? Budget? How complex? Any specific sounds? MIDI? 
    The big box tc’s ( Flashback 4, Alter Ego 4, Triple Delay) are easy to use and will give you three presets and fairly common. The Vox Delaylab seems to be the used bargain. The Line 6 DL4 is the daddy of this type and you still see it on pro  boards but quite an old design now and has aspects not everyone likes. 
    Mo money and mo complexity Boss DD500, Strymon, Empress, Source Audio. 
    I'm looking for something where I can set the sound I want,save it,and be able to call it up whenever I need it. If it had the capability to save up to say half a dozen sounds,that's more than I'll probably need. Price wise...maybe up to 150quid? I could go a bit more but where do you stop with these things?! (I know,it never stops!) 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Get this Echolution 2. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292479765795

Staggering value at this price.

And I speak as someone with a Nemesis and a TC Triple (both terrific btw)

• JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
    I'm looking for something where I can set the sound I want,save it,and be able to call it up whenever I need it. If it had the capability to save up to say half a dozen sounds,that's more than I'll probably need. Price wise...maybe up to 150quid? I could go a bit more but where do you stop with these things?! (I know,it never stops!) 
    You can probably pick up the DD20 for about £120 used. And it saves up to 5 presets, if i remember rightly. You can just scroll through them on the fly. And it has a looper. 
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Again I would also recommend the Boss Giga Delay.  I had one but sold it when I got my DD-500.  I kind of the miss the Giga Delay as it was a lot more simple than the DD-500.
  • Giga delay certainly sounds like it would be exactly what I'm looking for. I see they generally make less than £100 on the Bay. Thanks for all the advices.
  • Just started experimenting with my recently acquired DL-4, it’s brilliant! I can now see why it is used on so many pro boards, having instant access to those three presets is a winner. I’ve now got a nice tape slapback, and a short and long delay.  It may even knock my big box memory man off my board for gigging purposes until it either malfunctions or one of the switches fail on me.
  • Strymon Timeline all day. A bit out if your price range but worth every cent. 
  • I used to use a TC Nova delay, nine preset slots if i remember correctly, sounded great with a smallish footprint similar to a smallbox strymon (bluesky etc) and can be picked up second hand around the hundred mark
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7213
    Again I would also recommend the Boss Giga Delay.  I had one but sold it when I got my DD-500.  I kind of the miss the Giga Delay as it was a lot more simple than the DD-500.
    I toured a DD-20 for years. Not very exciting, but utterly solid, fits what you want, and will only set you back around a tonne second hand. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9612
    Strymon Timeline all day. A bit out if your price range but worth every cent. 
    Bingo
  • Strymon Timeline all day. A bit out if your price range but worth every cent. 
    Bingo
    Looks the job,but bit pricey for now unfortunately!
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I have literal learning difficulties and can still happily navigate my way around the Source Audio Nemesis. I can't imagine ever needing another delay.
  • My Vox Delaylab in the classifieds 
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    TC Nova Delay is very good for the money - has 9 presets
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470

I had 2 Nova Delays die on me.  When they do break they are basically unrepairable.  Unless footprint is an issue then the DD20 is a much better option than the Nova Delay.

If footprint is an issue and the DD20 is too big then I'd go Line 6 M5 ahead of Nova Delay.  Not having anything else at the time, I used that as a delay for a while after my second Nova Delay died.  Didn't miss the Nova Delay at all.

If you can afford them, the DD500 or Timeline would both be a step above..

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5167
    edited March 2018
    I toured a DD-20 for years. Not very exciting, but utterly solid. 
    In a nutshell. It's a good sounding, reliable delay that's not a great deal more complicated than your DD-3. Four presets and a "manual" setting (basically, the sound the front panel knobs are set to).

Other, newer, more expensive delays will do all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff that the DD-20 can't, but if what you need is basically five different DD-3s in a single box you won't go far wrong. 

FWIW, I got very attached to tap tempo, and to have easy access to that and your presets on the DD-20 you'll need an external footswitch.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Thanks for all the ongoing replies. Decisions decisions! The Vox delay lab looks pretty good value 2nd hand?? Or am I missing something?