Epi Les Paul with long neck tennon?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3491
I'm selling my Epi guys and have found out it has a long neck tennon, is that why it plays so well? Why are long neck tennons considered better? And should it effect the asking price?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Has no effect on how well it plays though many reckon it adds to sustain. I doubt it has any real effect on value either.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    The only real benefit is that it allows you to see whether the neck is badly fitted or not.

maximum glue surface is always good for stability, but short tenons should give plenty.  The problem is Gibson designed the short tenon to hide bad fitting joins, they almost gave up on the bottom glue  face altogether.

it adds no value to the epi
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3491
    Thanks guys, Ive priced it to sell and was worried Id underpriced too much.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    What model is it? The Tribute Plus has one (although they call it something else). I don’t think it has much effect on the sound, but I suspect the full maple cap on these might.
    It just says Les Paul Model, and Gibson on the truss cover, its black, so I am assuming its a Standard, its Korean from 2002.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I've one of those with a bird's eye veneer top. Great guitar.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    WezV said:
    The only real benefit is that it allows you to see whether the neck is badly fitted or not.

maximum glue surface is always good for stability, but short tenons should give plenty.  The problem is Gibson designed the short tenon to hide bad fitting joins, they almost gave up on the bottom glue  face altogether.
    Exactly - it's the tightness of the joint and the glue bond between the neck and the body which determines vibration transfer, not the length of the tenon. And that's even if you think that 'vibration transfer' matters that much.

A well-fitted, fully-glued short tenon joint will actually be stronger and arguably 'transfer vibration' better than a poorly-fitted long one. It's just another piece of guitar myth, wrongly attributing a characteristic to something you can easily see, rather than correctly to something you can't.

In any case, if you want maximum contact and 'vibration transfer' you want a Junior - they have a much simpler full-width tenon which guarantees a tight glue joint on all three faces.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    What I never understood is that so much is made of Fender neck pocket tightness and wood-to-wood contact, yet Les Pauls have that massive gap under the neck pickup.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    What I never understood is that so much is made of Fender neck pocket tightness and wood-to-wood contact, yet Les Pauls have that massive gap under the neck pickup.
    That's just at the end, it's irrelevant - there's no transferred force there. It's the joint between the sides of the neck and the pocket that really matters, and to an extent between the bottom of it and the floor of the pocket, and also between the end face of the body and the end of the neck.

In any case, wood-to-wood contact with a Fender isn't necessarily important either. Many sound better with a shim in than with full contact between the pocket and the neck. Some of the gaps in Gibsons make the poor fit of even 1970s Fenders seem like precision engineering, anyway.

And if you really want to confuse the 'vibration transfer' believers, how about this... :)

http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Rio-Howe-Orme-neck-joint.jpg

That's a Forster acoustic guitar with a neck joint that comprises only three points of contact between the neck and the body - a hook at the bottom and two adjustable wheels at the top.

They sound fantastic, and not very different from a conventional neck joint guitar. Bear in mind this is an *acoustic* guitar too, where transfer of vibration almost certainly matters more than it does on an electric.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom