Anyone put filtertrons into a mahogany guitar?

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
edited March 2018 in Guitar
And how did it compare to Gretsch's you've owned? 

I have a pro Jet and a Mira & the jet sounds great but plays slower and sustains less. I'm curious how close something like a Starla with retrofit buckers from TV/Mojo could get?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16709
    I am doing a solid mahogany Firebird with a mojo power, foil and filtertron at the moment... but it’s a few weeks from wiring

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3219
    edited March 2018
    I’ve a lp special that I loathed the p100s in (p90s fine but there was a loss of articulation imo with the p100s). This now houses a set of mojo p90 sized filtertrons and is a beast that at least matches the duo jet I have always regretted selling.

I think the top end clarity of a filtertron works in perfect harmony with that mahogany warmth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Chambered sapele with maple top, I like it, plenty of Gretschy chime. I'm minded to change the bridge one from the classic wind to the classic+ 8k one, sometimes the classic bridge can be a slightly brittle in a solid body. The hotter ones are that bit fatter and match well with a classic wind neck too. Got an 8k one in another guitar but yet to be wired up.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    The Core Starla pickups are not so far off ‘trons that it does kinda demonstrate that it should work. In fact, PRS prototyped them with TVJs in house before doing their own thing with the “inspired by” Starla pickups. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14452
    My self-build Warmoth LCT has a mahogany body. I fed it a TV Jones Classic Plus. 

how did it compare to Gretsch you've owned? 
    Never owned a Gretsch. Never wanted to. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.