Any gretsch custom shop owners?

What's Hot
svejksvejk Frets: 148
Anyone play a gretsch custom shop? They seem to be rare as hens teeth, so I've never had chance to play one. I have a 90s setzer hot rod which is a great guitar. I wonder if I would really notice all that much step up? It' all a bit fantasy at the minute as I am financially embarrassed but I want to know if I should keep dreaming!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5810
    I had a Stephen Stern Annie for a while, which I only gave up to return to a friend and it’s a not entirely a different kettle of fish to the Japanese models. 

But it is different and when you add up all the little differences and nuances you do have something that plays and feels unique. It was an absolute joy to play, sounded actually far more aggressive than the shop floor equivalent and wasn’t reliced but had been aged in the most beautiful way I’ve ever seen on a guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    LINK

£13k for plywood guitar seems like a lot.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    octatonic said:
    LINK

£13k for plywood guitar seems like a lot.
    “Special Price”
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    13k! Er,  no. And not sure about that knotty pine, like an 80s coffee table. I guess that' the nature of custom shop stuff...you can spec something very niche. I think I'd be interested in a really well built duo jet, nothing super fancy (though I am sure they are serious money too...)
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    Nothing wrong with the jap pro lines at all, i had a custom shop penguin and whilst it was very nice it didn't make me want to sell my japanese models
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    Nothing ever makes me want to sell any of my guitars :)