Boxes to ship guitars and basses in?

What's Hot
Any ideas where I can get one? Gotta ship out my bass across the country and dontd trust couriers not to break it in its soft case. Also need one for a keyboard
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Find a guitar shop that sells in-store and mail order, my local music shop does this.

They never want excess boxes because they take up space so for every guitar they sell off the wall they generate a spare box. They can't give them away until a guitar is sold in case it needs to go mail order from the shop so the best thing to do is ask nicely if they'll give you a call the next time they have one spare if they don't have one when you go in that day.

I've tried buying them from box suppliers and they're neither cheap nor easy to find when you do and that was years ago. I haven't tried that again since.

Are you near to a guitar shop?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Alnico I'll have a scout around in Cardiff tomorrow, what a ball ache. I'll keep the next one I get, I think!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I usually offer a fiver as a courtesy when I ask for one and I've never had that fiver taken yet, but it looks good and often wins nice shop owners over and even if they do take it, it's a small price to pay for a purpose made box.

Hope you get sorted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I also scrounge  boxes from my local PMT when I need one  .I am a customer though, having bought several mid  priced axes off them  over the years and often buy strings,straps ,etc off them .It pays to pay a bit more to have  decent relationship with a local shop .
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    Bicycle boxes/shops are often a good source.  The big ones need a bit of adjustment sometimes.
  • https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-Cardboard-boxes-for-Shipping-Guitars-and-Keyboards-inc-7-Metres-of-Padpack/183115831544?epid=541142826&hash=item2aa28dd8f8:g:ZuUAAOxySoJTV6Sk

I have used these. They are quite big so would do for a large keyboard as well.  You do need the packing that comes with, to make a guitar case secure.