These hair-band thingamabobs that shredders use?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
You know, those things that them ol  guitar tappers wrap around the nut to prevent stray notes ringing...
Is there a 'proper' name for them?

I've seen players using an adjustable type but I'll be buggered if I know what to look for on Google. :3
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    Ask the missus, that's what I did - suddenly found I had a pile of them. I think she gets them from Boots.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    ... I think they might be called scrunchies or something.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    you find loads on the pavement in Chav town centres too
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    richh said:
    I saw a Brazilian nylon string guitar player last week with a similar thing - in his case just an old scarf sort of thing.  And I think these are also sometime used by guitar synth players.
    Interesting. What kind of music was he playing? Most nylon string music I know, from classical to flamenco and other genres, uses open strings a lot.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    carlos said:
    richh said:
    I saw a Brazilian nylon string guitar player last week with a similar thing - in his case just an old scarf sort of thing.  And I think these are also sometime used by guitar synth players.
    Interesting. What kind of music was he playing? Most nylon string music I know, from classical to flamenco and other genres, uses open strings a lot.

The effect differs depending on when you place them. If it's placed behind the nut then it stops enharmonics from behind the nut ringing out but doesn't stop an intentional or unintentional open string from vibrating - the same effect as placing foam underneath the strings at the nut.

I use a fretwrap that way when recording, especially when cutting off open string notes with the fretting hand. 
  • Doesn't Keith Richards use one of these, or are they just for decorating his hats?
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I have a couple. Got em from strings direct. They’re good and come in
    a range of colours. 

Gruvgear fretwraps. 

Helps cheat with the hand muting haha. 

Philip Mcknight uses a different kind which bolts on i think and sort of flips over the strings when needed.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I put a couple on to help maintain an erection. It certainly dampened proceedings.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Just watch if you're using the hair scrunchies - some of them have a metal bit inside and that can scratch your neck, if you're concerned about that kind of thing.  

• bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 425
    There's a big difference between the elastic used in hair products and genuine tone-elastic.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom