Dirt cheap shred monster?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6139
Can anyone recommend a dirt cheap shred monster that's worth picking up to experiment learning the dark arts of shredding and tapping?  You know.. flat fingerboard board, thick frets, locking floyd and brutalz pickups. 

I feel the need to unleash my inner demons :naughty: 
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    An Ibanez rg of some description. You might need to change the pickups though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Or a Jackson dinky?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    edited March 2018
    Cort X series. It's a cheaper, ibanez basically. The upper range of them are (imo) better than many mid/lower upper range ibanezezez and for a fraction of the price.

I have one of these, currently sub £400. My neighbour has a £900 Ibby prestige.. this is easily comparable. 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    LuttiS said:
    Cort X series. It's a cheaper, ibanez basically. The upper range of them are (imo) better than many mid/lower upper range ibanezezez and for a fraction of the price.

I have one of these, currently sub £400. My neighbour has a £900 Ibby prestige.. this is easily comparable. 

Well that is a very pretty guitar!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    equalsql said:
    Can anyone recommend a dirt cheap shred monster that's worth picking up to experiment learning the dark arts of shredding and tapping?  You know.. flat fingerboard board, thick frets, locking floyd and brutalz pickups. 
    Nowadays the floyd is optional, but you forgot to mention 24 frets :)
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    The fretwork is immaculate on the stellar necks of JS series Jacksons. Their own brand  pickups are up to the job too. These are the main ingredients, and of course the 24 frets.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Theres a used Ibanez rg for £160 on andertons website, but its a 7 string.  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    edited March 2018
    Maverick? they go silly cheap on eBay

or a Washburn MG
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    equalsql said:

dirt cheap

locking floyd
    Unless you score a genuine bargain, I see great pain and anguish in your future. https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/77051003/meg1_29088a.jpg
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    LuttiS said:

Very nice and very tempting.  Only problem is that the only place I can find selling them at <£400 is Richard's Guitars who I won't buy from due to, well, Richard.

Has anyone spotted them elsewhere for similar money?
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    There is a lovely Dinky in the classifieds for £280
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    RedRabbit said:
    LuttiS said:

Very nice and very tempting.  Only problem is that the only place I can find selling them at <£400 is Richard's Guitars who I won't buy from due to, well, Richard.

Has anyone spotted them elsewhere for similar money?
    I've seen them pop up on ebay/gumtree from time to time.. 

I did get mine from Richards as he was the only one stocking and i got it when it was first released. 
  • Those new Harley Benton superstrats? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Ibanez S421 was beautiful.. minimal frills i.e no trem but the 520 is also great. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6139
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    What about one of the ESP LTD guitars?  I got an ESP M-50 many years ago and took it out recently and it plays really well.  
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    EVH Wolfgang Standard, all the shit for about 400 new (assuming you play right handed).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    If you'd got in about a week earlier you could have had this off me:

https://i.imgur.com/57FVLOv.jpg

Didn't think I'd ever sell it, but managed it! Cool guitar but something of a niche item...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Bucket said:
    If you'd got in about a week earlier you could have had this off me:

https://i.imgur.com/57FVLOv.jpg

Didn't think I'd ever sell it, but managed it! Cool guitar but something of a niche item...
    Amazing colour.

Sparkle finishes make me hard.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2018
    If I had to recommend something now though, either a secondhand Prestige RG (can be had pretty cheap) or look around for the old MIJ-made Pro series Jacksons, DK2 etc. Those are a hell of a lot of guitar for the money.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom