Would you risk buying a guitar whose serial had been scraped off?

What's Hot
close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited March 2018 in Guitar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    edited March 2018
    Edit

I can think of only two reasons someone would deliberately remove a guitar's serial number: either it's nicked, or someone was proposing to try something fraudulent by substituting a number for a more expensive model.

Either way, my answer to your question is 'not on your nelly'.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    under the pickguard ...
    https://i.imgur.com/woM4xGO.jpg

in the neck pocket ...
    https://i.imgur.com/dq9kc5c.jpg

on the neck ...
    https://i.imgur.com/n1aEQuh.jpg

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    Has to be stolen, why else would anyone do that?  I wouldn't touch it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    Almost certainly been nicked at some point. It also looks shit. It's not likely a major saving since it's a cheap guitar, so why get involved?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RebarRebar Frets: 138
    Stay well away. Its most likely to have been stolen at some point. Avoid. Avoid  Avoid. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Can you report it to the plods as suspected stolen goods? 
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Seems fairly unanimous. The seller ad mentions it, says he got the guitar in a trade and doesn't know why it was done.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    close2u said:
    Seems fairly unanimous. The seller ad mentions it, says he got the guitar in a trade and doesn't know why it was done.
    Presumably because the thief wanted someone willing and naive enough to act as a fence!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

On really old guitars where it's been refinished, yes if priced correctly.

As others have said here - no way on that one, it's not even subtle! That's nicked, there's no other reason

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • about a year and a half back i bought a used tele off a seller on gumtree. Not until i got it home and looked for the serial no. couldnt find it. I assumed as i couldnt see it on the headstock, maybe it was betwwen the neck and body. Only when i looked really really closely i could see where the varnish had been rubbed away and number erased, then varnish reapplied, it was a neat job. I phoned the seller to query this, He gave me a convoluted story about giving it to his cousin, who did this (maybe to disguise it was a MIM and not a USA.) then his cousin giving it back.
    I wasnt convinced and as he said he'd bought it new i asked if he had a reciept. He said he'd dig it out and email it to me. Not expecting to hear anything, he eamiled me an andertons reciept/delivery note.  Still not convinced I phoned andertons, who confirmed the sale, the guys name and were really helpful, saying the guy buys a lot of stuff from them.
    I still felt uncomfortable, not least if i came to sell it id have to explain all this again. I spoke to the seller and reluctantly he agreed to take it back and refund me. I somehow think he was genuine but not sure. It was a cheapy tele special so the idea that he'd replaced it with a cheaper neck doesnt make sense.
    But i dont want any hassle later down the line.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12682
    Looks dubious to me.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2963
    tFB Trader
    Looks hooky. In fact looks like Capn Hook did it with his hook.
    But then if nicked why such a totally dumb way to go about it. Hard to fathom that.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Perhaps they thought there might be three “Lucky 7’s” underneath.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ahem...I did this to my own Ibanez, I didn't really like the usual "Made in China" decal or whatever it is.
    I just need some light wood stain to cover the patch.

http://i63.tinypic.com/ab03v4.jpg

Does anyone think that removing that "Made in China" will bother people if I want to sell the guitar on?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2018
    SimonC said:
    Perhaps they thought there might be three “Lucky 7’s” underneath.
    Or 666 might be a bit worrying if he was a religious type
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Ahem...I did this to my own Ibanez, I didn't really like the usual "Made in China" decal or whatever it is.
    I just need some light wood stain to cover the patch.

http://i63.tinypic.com/ab03v4.jpg

Does anyone think that removing that "Made in China" will bother people if I want to sell the guitar on?

It would bother me if i saw it. All due respect but why would you do that? seems pointless, whats wrong with chinese made guitars anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    Corvus said:
    Looks hooky. In fact looks like Capn Hook did it with his hook.
    But then if nicked why such a totally dumb way to go about it. Hard to fathom that.
    Because some thieves really are that thick. They seem to think that if you can't prove it's stolen by being able to read the number, then it isn't.

I've seen loads like it in the last thirty years of working in music shops, and there's only one explanation. If it was to disguise the cheapness of the model they would have scratched out the Made In Mexico bit instead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13960
    Nicking a MIM Strat, bit desperate isn't it? Surely a MIA or CS would be better bounty

• Nicking a MIM Strat, bit desperate isn't it? Surely a MIA or CS would be better bounty
    Or an 11k PRS ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2533
    Took mine off my baja when I stripped it - oh well! Neck's a keeper, hey ho ;)