Fretboard Radius'

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
edited March 2018 in Guitar
I'm used to Les Paul radius which is about 12" I believe. Is there any difference with a radius of 14" except 2" before someone says anything LOL

What are your preferences out of interest?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    edited March 2018
    Flatter the better for me. I like the 17" on Ibanez and the less noticeable difference in height between strings.

I doubt you'll notice much in it between 12" and 14", maybe a side by side comparison but day-to-day it would be hard to spot. I think the main difference is when you're at the round end of the spectrum of 7.25" vs 9.5"
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4841
    edited March 2018
    I have guitars with 7.25", 12" and 15". The 12 and 15 feel so similar that I really don't notice, the Fender is a slight adjustment but after 5 mins it really makes no odds. The only slight annoyance for me with the 7.25 is the string spacing at the nut, 5 mins into playing I barely notice it. 

I prefer a flatter radius from 12 upwards but even a 9.5 is fine. I don't personally like or rather wouldn't pick a 7.25 again but if I love the guitar it wouldn't put me off. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Elwood said:
    Flatter the better for me. I like the 17" on Ibanez.

I doubt you'll notice much in it between 12" and 14", maybe a side by sode comparison but day today it would be hard to spot. I think the main difference is when you're at the round end of the spectrum of 7.25" vs 9.5"
    Wow I never knew they went that large
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    edited March 2018
    I have guitars with 12, 14 and 17 inch radius. I like em flat. I do notice a difference between them but it doesn't affect my playing much
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
    I notice my 9.5 syrat compared to my flatter Epi, the Epiphone is a joy to play, the Strat is hard work.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Flame_GuitarsFlame_Guitars Frets: 79
    tFB Trader
    Even better is a compound radius, such a 9.5" to 14" or 12 to 16". 
    Flame Guitars. Custom electric guitars, servicing & repairs by David Kennett
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Even better is a compound radius, such a 9.5" to 14" or 12 to 16". 
    Hmm 12 to 16" sounds a good arounder thanks :)