Sold Helix got Atomic Amplifire

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
Just sold my 2nd Helix and got the Atomic Amplfire. I wanted a modeller that can sit on the desktop next to my computer and the Amplifire fits the bill nicely as it's about the same size as the old Pods.

Plugged in and went straight to a blank preset, opened the editor and quickly dialled the Friedman HBE on a low gain Strat neck pickup just crackling nicely tone, with some tremelo, delay and reverb, within a few minutes and have to say that it sounds really good.

I love the smaller footprint of the Amplifire and the sound is great right off the bat with the amp tone controls set where I woud expect them to be on a real amp, without the need for any of this cab lo cut hi cut nonsense that plagued me with the Fractal and Helix gear. 

Impressive little peice of kit.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited March 2018
    Just sold my 2nd Helix and got the Atomic Amplfire.
    Good stuff! Did you go for the standard 3 buttons, the 12 or the newer 6 model?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Interesting that you mentioned the hicut low cut thing. That really bugs the shit out of me on the helix
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    cbellanga said:
    Just sold my 2nd Helix and got the Atomic Amplfire.
    Good stuff! Did you go for the standard 3 buttons, the 12 or the newer 6 model?
    3 button, I don't need it on the floor, I use it on desktop with Editor

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4886
    edited March 2018
    You tried any other IR's yet? The Marshall/Friedman stuff came alive for me with the Ownhammer Marshall ones.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Interesting, I may take a look at one whilst I wait for them to ship a Fractal over.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17669
    tFB Trader
    It's a very good box provided you are prepared to use a laptop.
    The one thing that really let the Amplifire down for me was trying to edit patches at gigs as the UI is terrible.

Editing on device is where the Helix wins hands down.

• What is the 'low cut high cut' thing on a Helix?

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    It's a very good box provided you are prepared to use a laptop.
    The one thing that really let the Amplifire down for me was trying to edit patches at gigs as the UI is terrible.

Editing on device is where the Helix wins hands down.

Agreed but I don't gig, I wanted something small that sits on the desktop for home use only and I use the editor all the time, the Helix was too big for my needs.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815

What is the 'low cut high cut' thing on a Helix?

If using inbuilt cabs lots of people add an eq block to remove high and low frequency. For me it makes a huge difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339

What is the 'low cut high cut' thing on a Helix?

If using inbuilt cabs lots of people add an eq block to remove high and low frequency. For me it makes a huge difference.

I'd argue it's a must. Most of the amps have a harshness in the upper frequencies that only seems to go away after you roll the hicut to 7k ish

It's quick enough to fix but it's a bit annoying
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • It's not an inherent amp problem in modelling, it's due to the mic placement in the IR. As players who usually listen to amps on the floor a few feet away, the sound of a mic close to the cap will sound too harsh...so we need to compensate using High/Low cuts to make it sound like it's an amp in the room again.

That's my understanding anyway.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • @RandallFlagg ;
    Is it this one?

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

How do you find the modelling compared to the Helix?
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    @RandallFlagg ;
    Is it this one?

@mistercharlie I think it's this one he bought

http://atomicamps.com/amplifire-pedal/
  • Cheers
  • My only experience of these is when Andertons completely trashed it against a 30 year old pod and a kemper. I've long suspected they get the tone they want to sell stuff, but this pretty much confirms it. Enjoy! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I liked mine but I couldn’t get it to sound good at proper volume
    and then editing it without a PC is like trying to paint your house through the letterbox 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3408
    edited March 2018
    My only experience of these is when Andertons completely trashed it against a 30 year old pod and a kemper. I've long suspected they get the tone they want to sell stuff, but this pretty much confirms it. Enjoy! 
    I have a POD XT (which superceded the POD used in the Andertons vid) and an Atomic Amplifire
    The Amplifire is about a million times better. I have no idea how they made it sound so bad in that comparison.

They seemed to do a little better with it here

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited March 2018
    I’m waiting for the AA6 to arrive in the UK. The size factor, extra switches and dedicated exp pedal sound perfect for my needs.
    Great to have a good-sounding modeller that fits on my guitar gig-bag.