Fender serial number doesnt match guitar?

robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
I know of a Strat Deluxe players , Mexican, the ones with the gold hardware and 12'' radius, it was for sale a while back and could well still be and I am thinking perhaps the 12'' radius might be better for my big hands.
Anyhow, I ran the serial number on Fenders web site and it came back as a Sunburst and maple Classic Series '50s Stratocaster®, the one that was for sale is Red and Rosewood and isn't a Classic Series '50s Stratocaster®.
The guitar dater project put is at 
1998 - 1999 which would be about right. Can Fender be wrong?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Could be, Fender aren’t infallible. Could also be a Chinese fake, they’re not fussy what serial numbers they use. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Hard to say, in my experience the guitar data project is not always that reliable and can throw up anomolies, got a link to any pics?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14463
    The majority of Fender guitars have their two major portions fastened together with wood screws. It is extremely simple to separate these and swap them over. 

I have purchased Fender guitar bodies, necks and other components from separate sources and assembled them into complete instruments. If I can manage it, so could Clyde the oran-utang.

Thus, the guitar under discussion could be a Bitsa. (This is nothing to worry about. Technically speaking, almost all Fender instruments are Bitsas.)

If you believe reference books, there are overlaps of Fender serial numbers - usually after numbering conventions have changed or due to different countries of origin. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    The serial number isn't everything. I wouldn't be overly concerned as long if the year and country part of the code is correct as far as the model goes. There are often markings on the neck/pocket and on the pickups for genuine Fenders - if you could get photos of those then that would help. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
    Thanks guys, what worried me was the neck radius difference, 7.5 and 12 is a big step, but I am also reading that this could be a Super Delux Strat, in which case it will have a 9.5 radius, this is based on its production year.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    @robgilmo you mentioned your concern was about what would best fit your hands. I think you're confusing radius with neck profile.
    I think you're confusing radius with neck profile.
    Possibly. (Radius = fingerboard. Profile = rear of neck shaping.)

I am of an age where I grew up with the 7.25" fingerboard radius. Today, my favourite Fenders are the AVRI series. Thus, whenever I try a 9.5, a 12 or a compound radius, it feels as if it has been hollowed out under the D and G strings. This soon passes and I soon get on with making my squawking noises.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    robgilmo said:
    Thanks guys, what worried me was the neck radius difference, 7.5 and 12 is a big step, but I am also reading that this could be a Super Delux Strat, in which case it will have a 9.5 radius, this is based on its production year.
    Yeah exactly. If it is a Classic series neck it won't be the spec you want so it does matter really. Again some pics or a link would make it easier for people to help.
    Better still, go and check the guitar out in person. 
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    PM me the serial number and I'll let you know .
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
    Thankyou Matt, I have PM'd you.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    I've known many times it is wrong - Fender Custom Shop and certainly on a  PRS via a ModCat code info - So on most occasions it is fine but errors do occur