What's Hot
Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
So I currently have five guitars in my line and they are:

Yamaha SG1802
Fender AVRI 52 Tele
Fender AVRI 65 Strat
Taylor GS Mini
Gibson R7 Goldtop.

And to me, the R7 and the 1802 are kind of similar, except the 1802 has P90's whereas the R7 has humbuckers.  I bought the R7 first then I got the Yammy and recently the Yammy has been the go to guitar for me, it's a little heavier than the R7 and the R7 rings a bit more acoustically but I prefer the feel and the tone of the Yammy.

I would like to get a Semi Hollow but I'm a bit brassic at the moment so it'd have to be something that would leave the flock.  So logical me thinks I should just move on the LP as it's not really getting played and the Yammy can cover the basses that I would need it for.

Though part of me thinks I should keep ahold of it because it's a "Gibson Les Paul" and with the way they are at the moment and trying to get another custom shop Gibson in the future might be a ball ache.  Am I being silly and just thinking: "Oh but the provenance of the instrument" rather than "I could get something that would be played and enjoyed and the R7 would go to someone who would play and enjoy it"?

Any advice/experiences/opinions appreciated!

Ta!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Stick it in the classifieds for trade and see if anything comes up you don't yet know you desperately need.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Sell it. You prefer the Yamaha to play, and the rest is just a name.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27106
    No point keeping instruments you don't love imo
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Thanks guys!  Now I just have to find a high end Semi Hollow to trade with!  They have an ES 339 in Guitar Guitar but not sure about the smaller bodies.
  • Arktik83 said:
    Thanks guys!  Now I just have to find a high end Semi Hollow to trade with!  They have an ES 339 in Guitar Guitar but not sure about the smaller bodies.
    You'd be MUCH better off selling or trading privately than doing a desk with your local Guitars'r'Us. 
    Arktik83 said:
    You'd be MUCH better off selling or trading privately than doing a desk with your local Guitars'r'Us. 
    I'd be inclined to agree but I traded an LP Jr with them for the Yamaha and they offered me only £100 less than what I originally bought it for and was selling it for so they're not total daylight robbers but I've popped it in the classified to see if there's any interest as well.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I say sell the R7 if your not using it and you have no strong bond with it..

There is no point holding onto it just in case they get harder to get hold of or rise in value in the future as there is no guarantee of that.

If you had bonded with the guitar, even if your not currently using it, you would not consider letting it go.

I have one guitar in my collection that has not been used for 12 months but I would not consider letting it go.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Neil old chum - I could make you a semi-hollow promise to buy the R7. Does that work?

;) 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    I've been thinking the same about keeping my 2 LP Customs, but realistically how much are they going to increase in price by? How long will you have to keep them to get that price?

I can't see that Gibson will just shut it's doors and the guitars will suddenly double in value. So if I keep them a few years I might get a few hundred pounds more, but I'd probably rather have 2 years enjoyment from a guitar I actually like.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    Everyone in the world ( apart from Donald Trump & my ex wife ) should have a Taylor GS Mini  . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    bodhi said:
    Stick it in the classifieds for trade and see if anything comes up you don't yet know you desperately need.
    This needs a lolwis

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

McToot said:
    Neil old chum - I could make you a semi-hollow promise to buy the R7. Does that work?

;) 
    Nice one Jules, made me laugh!
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited March 2018
    If you’re considering a semihollow and prefer your SG1802 to a Les Paul, it’s worth considering a Yamaha SA2200 (or its predecessors, the SA2100 and SA2000). If you want something smaller (like an ES-339), Yamaha also used to make a smaller semihollow—it was the SAS-1500 if I remember correctly, though they’re scarcer.