Found the sound in my head - home rig.

What's Hot
munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
I only play at home don't like spending a fortune on gear but never quite got the sound in my head out of my stuff.  Have felt lately I was close.  My go to stuff is my roadworn telecaster:

https://i.imgur.com/bh7nD0d.jpg

With my fender champion 600 with 5F1 circuit mod and master volume, I have shown this before but I made a new baffle and recovered it in tweed and changed the grill cloth

https://i.imgur.com/2rpduJF.jpg?1

Pedalwise I have had for a while a Boss Fender FRV1 and was perfectly happy with that.  I bought from @grunfeld a Marshall ED1 Compressor which got cleans where I wanted them.  I had a TC Mojo Mojo which I liked but wasn't the sound in my head.  From trying one ages ago I suspected it was a tubescreamer sound that was missing.  I bought from @valves4ever a Joyo Vintage Overdrive which I understand is a TS808 clone.

Regardless of whether it is or not, that was the missing ingredient and last night playing I could get virtually every sound in my head I wanted to achieve.

don't know what to do now though, do I burn it all and start again?  Mind you I haven't got tremolo....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    I wouldn't worry, in about a week it won't be the sound you want and the search will start all over again.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Cool rig .. glad you're happy @munckee ;

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seems like a nice sensible home set up! I have a Roadworn Tele too, great guitars. What year is yours? They seemed to tame the relicing on the later models.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Cheers for the comments, my roadworn is a 2013, when I saw the old ones I thought they were way too worn so didn't consider them, I saw a new one in wunjo in London and tried it along with an american standard, much preferred the roadworn.  Bought it second hand without even trying it which seems nuts now but it was just as good as the one I tried.

Now I've seen so many relics on here I've got used to them and I wouldn't worry about having the earlier ones.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    Have you played bigger amps? Like an ac15? 
    I tried blues junior, Pro Jr, AC10 and the Orange 12 watt amp before I bought the champ, they seemed too loud for me to use at home and also too physically large.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Actually, getting a sound on is often a happy accident and never from throwing money at it.

Also, is funny how prejudiced you can be at the start of the journey only to find at the end, that what you started with was actually THE sound after all!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    munckee said:
    I don't like spending a fortune on gear

Fucking weirdo. Get outta here.

;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:
    I don't like spending a fortune on gear

Fucking weirdo. Get outta here.

;)

I don't like (missus munckee won't allow me) to spend too much on gear!