Headphones - it's a minefield!

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    DT770s work for me. With some AKG K240s on the little home setup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    AKG 701's will fulfill all your needs and more. Had mine for years, brilliant headphones, also super comfy.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    I like them that much I posted twice...Duh!
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Thanks all, looking at the Beyers....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    edited March 2018
    I have a pair of AKG K701s. Perfect.

A minefield you say? Headphones in comparison to guitars, pedals and amps are a piece of piss. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2018
    I got my HD600's for £120, stuck on a new headband & some ear pads for a couple quid off eBay, and they are as good as new.

There are a few competitors out there, I just chose the Sennheisers cos they are well known in the studio world, and they sound great with the Kemper.

I went with an open-back design as the closed-back ones make my ears sweat with extended use, so I only use them for tracking (ATH-M50x).
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    merlin said:
    I have a pair of AKG K701s. Perfect.

A minefield you say? Headphones in comparison to guitars, pedals and amps are a piece of piss. 
    I know a little bit about guitars, pedals and amps.

The only thing I know about headphones is that they go on your head....
  • Freebird said:
    I got my HD600's for £120, stuck on a new headband & some ear pads for a couple quid off eBay, and they're as good as new.

There are a few competitors out there, I just chose the Sennheisers cos they are well known in the studio world, and they sound awesome with the Kemper and for mixing.

I went with an open-back design as the closed-back ones make my ears sweat with extended use, so I only use them for tracking (ATH-M50x).
    The M50x’s sit on your ears. I like them but I don’t find them comfy for long periods and especially when wearing glasses.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2018
    beed84 said:
    In that case you might want to reconsider buying the X2s, or the Senns for that matter. They might excel at playing your favourite music, and can probably accommodate studio stuff, but managing to faithfully reproduce what your Kemper sounds like might be asking too much. TBH I’ve always thought guitar through a pair of headphones sounds woeful, no matter how good they are.
    Have you tried the Kemper space effect with headphones?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I have a set of AKG K550s which I like muchly. I do a lot of mixing on them, they are pretty flat but still sound good.
  • Freebird said:
    I got my HD600's for £120, stuck on a new headband & some ear pads for a couple quid off eBay, and they're as good as new.

There are a few competitors out there, I just chose the Sennheisers cos they are well known in the studio world, and they sound awesome with the Kemper and for mixing.

The M50x’s sit on your ears. I like them but I don’t find them comfy for long periods and especially when wearing glasses.
    I second the HD600 / ATHM50x combo. Although my M50x don't sit on my ears at all. Maybe I have small ear lobes...?
    Update for those that care... (anyone?!?)

Went to Andertons on Saturday and got advised (quite stonefly) to buy the Beyerdynamic 770M model. Got them home to try and absolutely hated them. Felt far too tight, plasticky and uncomfortable, not to mention hot and sticky after about 10 minutes. The sound was rubbish as well. 

Took them back yesterday and got a set of AT M50X’s, and love them. So much more comfortable, great sound, and nowhere near as hot and sticky.

Also picked up a pair of Presonus Eris E5 monitors sell, but that’s for another thread....
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Dumb question: can I use my Bose QC35 set for this kind of stuff? Running it on a cable without the noise cancellation of course.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    BeyerDynamics/AKG/Sennhieser </thread>
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    carlos said:
    Dumb question: can I use my Bose QC35 set for this kind of stuff? Running it on a cable without the noise cancellation of course.
    You certainly can, but they are designed to make music sound a certain way - I tried mine with the Kemper and it didn’t go particularly well....
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited March 2018
    PC_Dave said:

Went to Andertons on Saturday and got advised (quite stonefly) to buy the Beyerdynamic 770M model. Got them home to try and absolutely hated them. Felt far too tight, plasticky and uncomfortable, not to mention hot and sticky after about 10 minutes. The sound was rubbish as well. 

Took them back yesterday and got a set of AT M50X’s, and love them. So much more comfortable, great sound, and nowhere near as hot and sticky.

Also picked up a pair of Presonus Eris E5 monitors sell, but that’s for another thread....

The M model are for front of house/drummers.  They're deliberately tight to be additionally isolating as the levels are a lot higher in those situations.  They also have different pads.

You might well have preferred the AT M50x's anyway, but you did buy the 'wrong' set of Beyers.  I've never used the M's but have seen reviews that they sound different to the pros.
    PC_Dave said:

The M model are for front of house/drummers.  They're deliberately tight to be additionally isolating as the levels are a lot higher in those situations.  They also have different pads.

You might well have preferred the AT M50x's anyway, but you did buy the 'wrong' set of Beyers.  I've never used the M's but have seen reviews that they sound different to the pros.
    That much I realise, but I was only going on what the “expert” told me - he listened to my use case and told me they were the only ones for me. 
  • Hmm no idea why they'd insist on those specifically.

Anyway the M50x's are good headphones.
    Jalapeno said:
    BeyerDynamics/AKG/Sennhieser </thread>
    Helpful.....
  • RaraRara Frets: 5
    I was going to start a new thread regarding wireless headphones but just gonna jump on this one - anyone got any suggestions?

OP - I use Sennheiser HD25s for mixing, they are perfect - but it looks like the equivalent wireless versions are upwards of £200!!! Boo!