Thinking of changing my LP's wiring to 50's spec.

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
As title really, I'm considering changing my Les Paul's wiring to 50's spec and upgrading the pots. I currently have OX4 low wind  PAF's installed so would like to compliment them some how. Can any of you fine people recommend a pre-wired harness please? I would ideally like a fully wired harness including 500k pots and switchcraft toggle switch and jack socket. Any ideas/advice you can give is much appreciated, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kossofffankossofffan Frets: 549
    Have a look at Six String Supplies !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    I got mine from @shugz on here, dint think hes about anymore?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited March 2018
    Why buy a pre-wired harness when to swap it over to 50s spec is just moving two wires, one on each volume pot?

Why not try that first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    yeah just move the cap from pickup to switch connector on volume pot 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    Collings said:
    Why buy a pre-wired harness when to swap it over to 50s spec is just moving two wires, one on each volume pot?

Why not try that first.
    Exactly, you can find out whether you like it or not for free, in about three minutes. 
    p90fool said:
    Collings said:

Why not try that first.
    Exactly, you can find out whether you like it or not for free, in about three minutes. 
    It is worth trying out first as it does make the volume a tone controls more interactive which some don't like.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Second trying it first. I did and didn't like it. Modern all the way for me.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6707
    edited March 2018
    Just had it done along with an install of Ox4 low wind pafs in my les paul. Difference is night and day. Love the interactivity of the controls and every LP tone  I know is now accessible. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    i've upgraded electronics with Mojo harnesses in an SG and a Tele and the difference is significant, I would say it's well worth the money and super easy to do if you can solder.

I never see the point in paying the very high prices I see some of the upgrade wiring harnesses being sold for. I can understand replacing cheap pots and switches but I don't believe fancy expensive caps and cloth covered wire make any difference to tone at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27063
    Collings said:
    I never see the point in paying the very high prices I see some of the upgrade wiring harnesses being sold for. I can understand replacing cheap pots and switches but I don't believe fancy expensive caps and cloth covered wire make any difference to tone at all.
    You're right. 

Good pots can help greatly, but that's more about physical feel (ie loose or tight) and pot taper, than anything else. Good wiring can help reliability, but posh caps do nothing except make your guitar look pretty on the internet. 

I actually quite enjoy doing my own wiring, but I can understand why some people don't want to.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    edited March 2018
    zepp76 said:
    I currently have OX4 low wind  PAF's installed so would like to compliment them some how.
    May I suggest, 'What a beautiful mid-range you have, my dears, and a splendid growl to boot'?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    There's a LOL right there!
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    Collings said:
    You're right. 

Good pots can help greatly, but that's more about physical feel (ie loose or tight) and pot taper, than anything else. Good wiring can help reliability, but posh caps do nothing except make your guitar look pretty on the internet. 

I actually quite enjoy doing my own wiring, but I can understand why some people don't want to.
    i've read that before, but i've tried it more than once and i can hear the difference, and i'm not Eric Johnson :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72386
    Moltisanti said:

i've read that before, but i've tried it more than once and i can hear the difference, and i'm not Eric Johnson :)
    Pots do, caps don't. You can easily prove this conclusively for yourself, if you have a small switch and the two types of caps.

No matter who is listening...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Am i right in assuming you would only notice a change in tone if you swap out the pots if the actual value changed significantly. Example a 500k pot which actually measures 470k vs a 500k pot which actually measures 530k.

Obvously taper and general build quality may differ also.
    Collings said:
    Am i right in assuming you would only notice a change in tone if you swap out the pots if the actual value changed significantly. Example a 500k pot which actually measures 470k vs a 500k pot which actually measures 530k.

I think there may be a difference in the internal 'self' capacitance of different qualities of pots which could affect the tone, but it would need careful testing to prove.

Surprisingly the resistance value is *not* that critical, despite premium pots being available with either tighter tolerances or higher overall resistance - you can test this fairly easily too, with a switch to add resistors to simulate higher or lower pot values. The lowest change which is reliably audible is about 25%.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    ^ as above - do the mod yourself to try it out first before spending £50+ on a new harness.

also, if you do decide to go for a re-wire do
    it yourself and use orange drop caps. It’s an easy circuit to wire. 

Collings said:
    There is a lot of snake oil around caps - just use an orange drop you won’t pay more than £3.00

I’ve not come across any snake oil related to cloth wire - it’s just easy to use and there’s no danger of melting the plastic coating into the stranded core. It’s cheap too. 

i find soldering very therapeutic! Recently acquired an extractor fan to remove the fumes - I solder every single day and naturally worry about health and what I’m breathing.
    ICBM said:
    Collings said:

I think there may be a difference in the internal 'self' capacitance of different qualities of pots which could affect the tone, but it would need careful testing to prove.

Surprisingly the resistance value is *not* that critical, despite premium pots being available with either tighter tolerances or higher overall resistance - you can test this fairly easily too, with a switch to add resistors to simulate higher or lower pot values. The lowest change which is reliably audible is about 25%.
    The resistance is not relevant unless there is a MAJOR  difference. ) ie. 250k or 500k - It makes me laugh when stockists claim their pots are made to a tolerance of 6% - it’s not true - CTS don’t manufacture to such tight tolerances.

standard CTS would be 20% - with good reason,
    as there is no audible difference between a 250k pot and a 300k pot. The human ear cant detect the difference.

”higher end” CTS pots are to a tolerance of 10%

For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    sixstringsupplies said:

The resistance is not relevant unless there is a MAJOR  difference. ) ie. 250k or 500k - It makes me laugh when stockists claim their pots are made to a tolerance of 6% - it’s not true - CTS don’t manufacture to such tight tolerances.
    That's true, although there's nothing to stop you selecting them manually for tighter tolerance after manufacture, with a simple multimeter.

standard CTS would be 20% - with good reason,

as there is no audible difference between a 250k pot and a 300k pot. The human ear cant detect the difference.
    Yes, exactly - it's within the range where there is no audible difference.

If you use a small switch to add an extra resistor in series with the ground end of the pot you can simulate higher values, and if you add a resistor in parallel with the whole pot you can simulate lower values. You need the switch so you can engage or disengage the resistor on the fly while listening closely to the sound from the amp.

Doing this, I was able to consistently hear a difference at about 25% below, and 33% above, the pot value. By that I mean that you can *just* hear a shift if you switch it on the fly with a note or chord sustaining. If you listened to the two different sounds in isolation I doubt you would be able to call it.

I find direct real-time A/B switching the best method of determining whether these things matter or not. Often, you will find that something you 'think' makes a noticeable difference when you compare separately in isolation, doesn't actually make any difference at all... and sometimes, it does show that a very small difference is detectable even when you think it 'shouldn't' be.