heavy bottom skinny top gauge strings

What's Hot
bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 544
Anyone use the Ernie Ball Heavy bottom gauge regularly?
Thinking of changing to these as I am starting a new project playing mostly heavy , riff based blues stuff and I'm interested to now how much of a difference there is in tone with these. I usually just use regular .10's 

Any info or advice much appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1818
    I use D'Addario or Rotosound 10-52. Never tried EBs. I can't say I've noticed a massive difference in tone compared to 10-46. I much prefer the heavier strings for rhythm, especially faster hard hitting stuff and drop tunings.
  • I've just switched to heavy bottom eb, after someone tipped me off.
    Awesome, just gives a bit more tone and kick.
    Just feels and sounds a little different but different enough from standard 10s.
    Recommended in a big way, give it a go...
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    I use d’addario 10-52 on all my electrics, just feels right to me. 
  • Fatter sound from the wound strings, and they're a bit stiffer to play.  Probably a good choice for riffy heavy bluesy stuff.  Cheap to try anyway!
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    I use rotosound 10-52's and really like them especially on Lp shorter scale, I did play 11's just too much effort these days
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited March 2018
    I use 52-10 on everything tuned to e standard, feels just right - 46-10 feels much to floppy imo and the added tension gives the bottom 3srings a bit of punch they otherwise wouldn’t have 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    tFB Trader
    I like the 10-52 gauge, especially on a Fender - I can utilise a low action yet a 52 stills retains its 'rigidity' when you hit it hard - a .46 'wobbles' to much and as such can cause a slight tuning issue on initial impact - So 10-52 great on walking bass line/SRV style shuffle riffs etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    tFB Trader
    Yes 10-52s are popular 
    They were the catalyst for us getting our own string packs designed (with a little help from Vince Ray)

Vince did have his own signature set done as well

As a string gauge I do like them, but sometimes find the wound strings are a bit overkill as they are from a set of 12s
    I always wished that there was a set like 9-46 but one step heavier, so like the treble strings from a set of 10s and bass strings from a set of 11s
    I tried a few times taking half a set of our Perfect 10s and half a set of our Legs 11s

So in the end we had them made for us 
    The set runs 10/13/17/28/38/50

We haven't had any fancy packaging done for them though (yet)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ^ I can see a set of those 10-50 strings coming home with me when I see you this week Jon.

It'll be interesting to try them in a few weeks time back to back with the 10-52 set you just fitted.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3040
    edited March 2018
    I’m going all out heavy with my washburn mg42, got irongear steam hammer pickups to install and a pack of ernie ball 10-52. Once done I’m looking forward to some serious downtunage. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8765
    I use d’addario 10-52 on all my electrics, just feels right to me. 
    Ditto. In the 70s I used EB 10-52s, because they suited my he@vy handed playing. I switched to D’Addarios because a problem with the EB ball ends. I’ve never switched back.

bobblehat said:
    ... I'm interested to now how much of a difference there is in tone with these. 
    To me there is a better balance of tension than with 10-46s. I don’t notice much Tone difference.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    edited March 2018
    does anyone make a 10-49 or half 10s half 11s set? 

everyone makes a half 9s half 10s "hybrid" set (9-46) but i cant find a 10/11 set anywhere!

(edit, exactly what feline guitars said up there ^) note: must read whole thread before commenting...
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11989
    I've always used 9-46
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    Eb 10-52s on all my guitars best of both worlds with these
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539

everyone makes a half 9s half 10s "hybrid" set (9-46) but i cant find a 10/11 set anywhere!

(edit, exactly what feline guitars said up there ^) note: must read whole thread before commenting...
    D’addario XL EJ20 nickels, wound third. 
    https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/ej20-nickel-wound-electric-guitar-strings-jazz-extra-light-10-49-p10322
  • I've got Slinky Hybrids on my Tele & I like em.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 544
    Thanks for all the replies.
  • 77ric said:

D’addario XL EJ20 nickels, wound third. 
    https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/ej20-nickel-wound-electric-guitar-strings-jazz-extra-light-10-49-p10322
    thats not half an 11s set though is it in the standard modern sense. 

Wound 3rds do not work for the majority of rock/pop players. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I like the 10-52 gauge, especially on a Fender - I can utilise a low action yet a 52 stills retains its 'rigidity' when you hit it hard - a .46 'wobbles' to much and as such can cause a slight tuning issue on initial impact - So 10-52 great on walking bass line/SRV style shuffle riffs etc
    I use 09-046 Hybrids and while I don’t get wobble on the low E on my Fenders. I do on a Les Paul. Might be an idea to explore.