Sensible price for refret on fender 7.25 radius neck

What's Hot
mar10mar10 Frets: 12
edited March 2018 in Guitar
Afternoon all, So yeah 

I’ve got 2 or 3 people I’m going to get a quote from
 but what do you all think is a fair price for a refret on a 1979-81 strat?

I’m okay at fretwork but I don’t want to ruin my baby  (it’s maple with poly finish) < this is my main concern I’ve seen some less than good work with these thick finishes

id like it as ‘factory’ as possible eg: vintage small frets like it originally had
 the neck is in good condition & doesn’t need refinishing etc. So it should be a straight forward job

whAt have u guys paid for tip-top refrets?

thanks in Advance. Soz if there’s already such a thread or I’m posting in wrong sub etc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You'll probably get a lot of contrary opinions on this but if I were you I'd spend more on a place with a good reputation. I've seen people go for a 'cheaper' refret with some horrendous results. My go-to is always Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience in Hampton Wick (they do a courier service too if you're far away). They did an amazing refret on my Fender Nocaster Relic a few years ago and it's way better than the factory work imo. According to their website the current price guide is £300-370. They are very good at matching vintage style fretwork and can tailor it to you too. The PLEK machine isn't a myth either. It's really amazing. People often judge it by Gibsons 'PLEK'd' factory offerings but they used 'simulated' string tension whereas CCGX use actual string tension. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    I paid Rob Williams £250 for a perfect refret in stainless steel last summer. 
    He does have lower overheads than city centre guys though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    Always going to be more due to the refinish f the fretboard and removing and installing the frets from the side etc 
  • mar10mar10 Frets: 12
    edited March 2018
    Cheers for the input so far gents, I had about 250-300 in mind so that’s good

playing guitar now & its worse on the higher frets where it’s had a fall away done when it’s been levelled previously by last owner
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    Always going to be more due to the refinish f the fretboard and removing and installing the frets from the side etc 
    Yeah not got the nards to do it myself because of the inch of poly & sideways frets :/
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Leon at Grizzly refretted and installed new nut on a guitar of mine for £200.
    http://www.grizzlyguitars.co.uk/repairs.html
    He also rewired it for me. The guitar is an early.70's Mustang.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Doesn't @FelineGuitars  do refrets?  
    I’m in Brum unfortunately  
     looking at diggins at the mo, says 195£ for lacquered neck refret + new nut £35
     (I’d prefer the old nut shimmed a tiny bit but will discuss when I phone them this/next week)

nice one all :)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    tFB Trader
    Remember that the frets will need to come out SIDEWAYS on a Fender of that era if it has not been refretted before
    £195 including refinish of the board  is a very good price

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I got the nut replaced and a refret on a 67 fender with a bound board for £180.
    Ex Chandler's/Fender technician based off the a14 about 50 mins from the centre of Birmingham
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    Remember that the frets will need to come out SIDEWAYS on a Fender of that era if it has not been refretted before
    £195 including refinish of the board  is a very good price
    That's what I was getting at, they are not as straightforward to do as people think, I have seen a few bodge jobs that would make you wince, choose wisely and distance really is no object when its your pride and joy

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 561
    I think that I paid about £200 for the refret on my Stratocaster from our very own Manchester Guitar Technician but I asked Steve to fit Med Jumbo's back in rather than skinny frets and he also did a Service & Setup at the same time  . . . The change in the guitar was amazing . . . The guitar was with Steve for just a couple of days  . . Excellent
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  !