Les Paul serial number

What's Hot
Apart from on the headstock, do Gibson put the s/n anywhere apart from the headstock? I've had my LP std for over 20 years and when it had the headstock repair a while ago, the s/n disappeared under the (lovely) mustard finish which had to be re-done.

I believe it's a 77 but would like to date it simply for my own benefit and because my mate did it for his SG and is being smug about it... 

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16692
    Some of Gibson’s serial numbers are next to worthless., certainly in the early 70’s.  I am less sure about the second half of the decade
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72394
    The serial number isn't anywhere else, but you can date it from the pot codes if they're original - and assuming they're not all covered with solder.

Each pot has a code which should read 137yyww, where yy is the year of manufacture and ww is the week. The guitar will have been made within a few weeks or months after the pot dates.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    Gibson lost its way somewhat under Norlin. The LP Heritage 80 model was their attempt to get back on track.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Cheers guys - numbers look like 137 81 50 so probably an 81 model.
    Cheers guys - numbers look like 137 81 50 so probably an 81 model.
    1982. The pot was made in the third last week of 1981, it's very unlikely it would be shipped to Gibson, fitted and the guitar finished in two weeks over Christmas :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    ICBM said:
    Cheers guys - numbers look like 137 81 50 so probably an 81 model.
    1982. The pot was made in the third last week of 1981, it's very unlikely it would be shipped to Gibson, fitted and the guitar finished in two weeks over Christmas :).
    Same year as mine. Love it :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Love mine too. Only problem is that it's so flipping heavy - but I guess that's what 0% finance is for ;-)