Anyone ever play a vintage telecaster deluxe alongside a thinline ?

DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7238
I'm really pleased with the new (old) thinline Tele picked up from the lovely@rainer2859 - so much so I'm looking for another guitar with the WRHB in.  I've had a vintage Tele custom before and as good as it was I wish they had put the WRHB in the bridge position as that's the sound I really like.  I'm Reverb perving a few Tele Deluxes at the mo that are in the states so if I pull the trigger I'll be buying blind.

I'm expecting more thump and a thicker sound from a deluxe with the solid body , I just wondered if anyone has tried them side by side with a thinline and could confirm either way ? (or dissuade me and save me quite a few quid !)

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    It should come as little surprise that the second series WRH Thinline Telecaster will have more *air* about its sounds than a solid body guitar. 

With the same pickup specification for both positions, you will get the traditional volume imbalance between them unless you set the bridge/Treble pickup high and the neck/Rhythm pickup low.

My recollection of playing an original CBS-era Telecaster Deluxe about thirty five years ago is that the bridge pickup was disappointing. It took a rip-snortin' fuzz pedal to even things out.

In short, to me, in the bridge/Treble position, the WRH seemed to provide less of the same. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7238
    Thanks for coming back FF. It's strange as to me the bridge HB on the Thinline sounds quite thin but through some decent drive it sounds awesome. Playing clean though I favour both pickups together - heavenly !
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    the bridge HB on the Thinline sounds quite thin but, through some decent drive, it sounds awesome. Playing clean, though, I favour both pickups together - heavenly !
    save me quite a few quid
    Looks to me as if you may have just saved yourself quite a few quid. :)

The owner of the guitar mentioned earlier could play a mean Hendrix cover version using the neck position WHR through a Germanium fuzz pedal and, initially, a HH solid state amplifier. Later, he got a Park 50w 2x12 valve combo. Next, he traded the Fender against a late Seventies Gibson SG. ("Stupid boy!")
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    Oh sweet Jesus.  Saw the title, saw it was you and kinda expected the Thinline to be up for grabs :dissapointed_relieved: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Sorry Mark but no ! The opposite of that in fact ! Are you still down this way with the lad this weekend ?
    Sorry Mark but no ! The opposite of that in fact ! Are you still down this way with the lad this weekend ?
    HE is: with his school.  Gathering fossils and doing all the Jurassic Coast malarkey.  Not me, pal.  Wrangling a horde of teenage geographers somewhat contrary to my idea of a Rockin' Good Time.

I'll PM you re arrangements to take delivery of 'the merchandise' ;)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Shame , I thought we had a possible window for a pint and a handover there !  
    Shame , I thought we had a possible window for a pint and a handover there !  
    Take the boy out.  Educate him in the ways of righteous Man of Action-liness.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer