Switch type help please

What's Hot
hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
I’ve got an old Ibanez which is a copy of a Gibson professional from the seventies. These guitars had a “tone select” switch which switches between 3 totally isolated circuits in the guitar to give different settings. 
I need to replace this switch as it has broken but I don’t know what it is called and therefore can’t find it on google to buy a replacement!

Any ideas please?

cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27252
    What does it look like? 

It's probably a standard type of switch.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
    It’s not a standard 3 way switch. It has 8 lugs - 1 in, 1 out and 3 pairs of in/outs for the loops.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    Like a Varitone but only 3 way ?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    edited March 2018
    What's the screw spacing? It looks like it might be a 'short frame' Strat/Tele-type 3-way switch. These were commonly used on Japanese-made guitars in the 1970s, and they're a pig to replace because they're unobtainable new and are not the same size as the standard US-made switch or the many modern versions.

Does it look like this? (32mm screw spacing)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    edited March 2018
    sweepy said:
    Like a Varitone but only 3 way ?
    The Vari-Tone is a rotary wafer switch.

The 3/2/1 Tone selector switch is a three-way, double pole, lever type. 

ICBM has probably correctly identified the MIJ switch type. 

hassleham said:
    I need to replace this switch as it has broken
    In what way? Is the switch physically destroyed? Have some of the contacts stopped functioning reliably? It may suffice to strip the switch down, clean the contacts, replace the spring and refresh the solder joints on the contacts.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    What's the screw spacing? It looks like it might be a 'short frame' Strat/Tele-type 3-way switch. These were commonly used on Japanese-made guitars in the 1970s, and they're a pig to replace because they're unobtainable new and are not the same size as the standard US-made switch or the many modern versions.

Does it look like this? (32mm screw spacing)

Yup! 32mm :(
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    As Funkfingers said it may be repairable, unless something like one of the paxolin pieces has cracked.

If it isn't, would you like that switch? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM that would be awesome if you have it going spare! Sadly someone removed the previous switch and it fell apart and they lost some of the parts so I don't think it's repairable. Someone has then replaced it with a switch of the wrong size that doesn't fit the holes on the control panel, so now i'm looking for a replacement. Let me know how much you want for it. Cheers :)
    All sorted now, many thanks to @ICBM!!

Also thanks @Funkfingers for your input :)