If You Were Gonna Buy An Expensive Strat

What's Hot
MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
 - what would it be?

I'm curious about the SSS config, Fendery market.  

The more I play, the more I'm coming to the view that I love single coils more than anything else, and that I'm more comfortable with Strats than anything else I play.

But there are annoyances - the 3 rotary controls have no real value to me, I much prefer the more modern single Vol/Tone set up.  With Strats, I find the volume too close to the pickups for my playing style.  Fender electrics can be a little primitive with regard to hum cancelling - not a big deal to me, but it's another thing about the more expensive Fenders that I'd struggle to justify.

Are Schecter/Eggle/Suhr making much better Strats than Fender?  I love the look of the new Origins Strats, and I guess ~£1500 is reasonable for a US made guitar.  I doubt I could really justify 2 grand plus to the wife for that high end market.

Musicman Cutlass looks good.  So does the Blade RH4.  And I've always loved the Schecter Sultan model.
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A Suhr. 

For my tastes anyway.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Just get a Fender.

It would be a bit of work but you could replace the scratchplate with one that has single volume and tone pots.  I'm sure you would be able to find a ready made one somewhere, but if you can't then you could spec one from Warmoth:

http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/StratPickguard.aspx

If you untick the boxes for the volume and tone then you could drill them where you want.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    One of these... I played all of Coda's Custom Shop Strats before walking out the door with my one of these.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    impmann said:
    One of these... I played all of Coda's Custom Shop Strats before walking out the door with my one of these.

Ooh, not sure about that.  Something strange about SCs in that shape.  Perhaps the new John Mayer sig?
    Mark de Manbey

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A Vigier Excalibur
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    The John Page strat a likes seem to get high praise and comes with a single vol and tone - They are Japanese made I believe.

Link below to a new one but coda also have some SH

https://www.coda-music.com/special-offers/john-page-classic-ashburn-pelham-blue-maple.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1466
    I'm neither a PRS guy (having owned six) or particularly a strat guy (having owned God knows how many) but if I was in the market for one now I'd be checking out the new PRS Silver Sky.

I thought it looked a bit of an abomination when it first emerged, but that 40 minute John Mayer video sounded phenomenal.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I have 3 strats including my ideal custom shop. if i were buying anything now i'd go for the silver sky i think. but if i didnt already have the custom shop it'd have to be that top of my list as i know i'd always be hankering after one. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200

But there are annoyances - the 3 rotary controls have no real value to me, I much prefer the more modern single Vol/Tone set up.  With Strats, I find the volume too close to the pickups for my playing style. 

What about a Tele?  

A Vigier Excalibur
    I've played one before, and didn't like it much.

However, just seen this, and it looks and sounds awesome:

https://www.guitarinteractivemagazine.com/issues/issue-20/reviews/vigier-expert-retro-54#
    Mark de Manbey

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Or buy a nice Journeyman  lightweight ash body with S1 switching  ;) etc  
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Suhr Scott Henderson model. For that thing he does with it.

Some other Suhr, probably, for other things one can do with a Strat.

MrBump said:
     I doubt I could really justify 2 grand plus to the wife for that high end market.

I'm afraid "expensive" kinda starts at £2k plus for top level instruments (which is what I think you mean by expensive). Just look at all the "cheaply made" Korean and Chinese imports for well over a grand.

One can be lucky with the second-hand market: people on here are always saying that Suhr/Anderson/Tyler(phear the headstock!)/etc. don't hold their value. I've yet to snaffle a bargain myself... 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27066
    Fender CS or a custom-order Danocaster. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Fishboy7 said:

But there are annoyances - the 3 rotary controls have no real value to me, I much prefer the more modern single Vol/Tone set up.  With Strats, I find the volume too close to the pickups for my playing style. 

What about a Tele?  

Yep, got a Tele, love my Tele.
    Mark de Manbey

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7427
    Anderson droptop type, or Suhr would be high on the list for me

Or an SVL

Or a Michael Tuttle 
    Red ones are better. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14279
    tFB Trader
    Hell of a choice today - Fender Custom Shop is an obvious answer (not just because I sell them) - But the large slice of their market is making guitars in the old traditional way, which includes all the goodness of a good old 'un, but the 'faults' as well - like you mentioned 'hum' - Not a vintage replica if they cure it

Modern builders like Suhr, Anderson and others have not re-invented the wheel - more of an approach that has smoothed out the edges with a serious attention to detail  - Generally find a more slick approach with them regarding the playing performance - But many will question if such an approach has taken away some character and left you with a guitar that is a touch 'o pure' - a matter of taste and opinion

Agree with @impmann about PRS influenced models like the 305, DC3, NF3 - I've not played the new PRS yet, but I seriously dis-like the headstock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I would buy a strat type guitar from one of the builders from the forum.
    What about an old Blade Levinson built in switzerland? Who was the member with a large collection of them?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14279
    tFB Trader
    lukedlb said:
    What about an old Blade Levinson built in switzerland? Who was the member with a large collection of them?
    Never built in Switzerland - Gary had his workshop there with regards to design - But never built there - All MIJ
    lukedlb said:
    Yeah, the Blades really interest me - not least because I used to drool over the ads in Guitarist Magazine when I was a kid.
    Mark de Manbey