Reverse thread truss rod

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
I've just taken delivery of a Huber Special and it appears to have a reverse truss rod - ie 'Tighty lefty, loosey Righty'

Trying to remove relief, I ended up with a loose truss rod not and turning anti-clockwise not only increases nut tension but also reduces the string relief and increases string pitch

Is this common? ..normal on a Huber?

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16692
    it happened on one of my early guitars, when i installed the 2 way rod rod upside down.

i suspect that is highly unlikely to happen on a Huber
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited March 2018
    Cheers @WezV - finding it hard to believe myself, but I took all of the tension out of the neck turning it clockwise and there’s clearly more resistance going anti

If it’s a fake, then it’s a very well made and expertly shielded / wired one! 
    Question - if I de-string to remove the tension, could I remove the hex end of the truss rod to confirm that it's reversed?

I guess if I do this and I'm wrong about it being reversed, I'm ultimately going to get to the point of breaking the rod, but am I safe to assume that I'm going to end us having to fight tension to get to the point where I'm causing damage - ie if it's spinning freely then there's no danger?

If it’s a two way rod the nut will not come off.  I don’t know what they use
    edited March 2018
    Thanks again @WezV ;;

I turned the truss rod nut until it was loose (wobbling) and then nipped it back a touch - I actually think there is less relief like this that with me cranking it against the tension. I didn't go any further to see if it would come off (hadn't seen you're reply at that point)

So.. if it's a 2 way rod, would I expect it to go through a slack phase before gaining tension is the rod start to pull against the strings again? ..apologies for the dumb questions, I'm good with Fender, Gibson et al, but I've not come across this before!
    Yeah, 2 way rods have a bit of slack in the middle of the adjustment before engaging again.  
    Cool thanks - think that's most likely what we have here

I'm going to let it sit overnight and hopefully here back from Huber in the morning - I'll report back with what they say

Much appreciate the help Wes! ..looking forward to when you're new(?) site is fully up and running

The spec sheet suggests they use a single rod compressed to give double action.... so I don’t think it will work like a normal 2 way rod with a neutral mid position

i am not sure what the mean, but It sounds like a normal one way rod installed and tightened before the board is levelled.   This then works like a normal single rod, you tighten it to remove relief... but can also ad a limited amount be loosening it off, and if you keep loosening it the nut will come off.  But that would not explain the effect you have described so best to wait to hear from them.

Thanks for looking - Will let you know what they say

I went further clockwise - it stayed loose for a half turn and then I got a touch more friction and definitely less relief (now about 0.12”at the 7th fret, which is where I set an LP)

..it it was up over 0.16”at one point this eve!
    Huber have confirmed that it's a 2 way rod - phew!

Thank again for the help @WezV ;