anybody struggle on particular guitars?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Not a type of guitar as such but any guitar with a maple fretboard.

My brain can't make sense of looking at silver frets and strings on yellow Maple.
    Silver frets and strings on Rosewood or Ebony (Dark Coloured wood) is no problem but on Maple, the frets start dancing around, the lacquer seems to turn wet (Yes I know it doesn't but mental health and all that !) and sticks my fingers in place and I start crying.

I'd rather play the triangle than play a Rickenbacker though.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    I hate playing any guitar you have to "fight" to "earn your notes" - a well set up guitar is always more enjoyable to play. And I dont get on with most fenders because of the slightly stiffer strings. Could go 9s but anything lower than 10s feels weird. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited March 2018
    I wouldn't say that I struggle with some guitars more than others..
    but I do find some more comfortable to sit with / stand with..
    from the few I've played, I've always found LP's to be a bit uncomfortable

V's are uncomfortable until you get used to sitting with them
    and also they're dreadful to play standing until you move the strap lock from the end of the upper horn to roughly half way along the underside of it.. then it'll balance perfectly

I tried a fan fret at the show.. took a little getting used to but was ok in the end..
    not really sure if I'd want to own one..

7-string took a little getting used to at first.. but got on well with it after a while
    switching between 6 and 7 can be a little disorienting at first..

sometimes when I switch from my 24 fret necks to my 22 fret necks, I can get a little mistakey when north of the 15th fret..
    it's because I'd be used to seeing a little more fingerboard up there..
    so for example.. Am pentatonic puts you right at the top of the neck on a 22 fret..
    but on a 24 you're not so close to the end of the neck...
    hmmm... not explaining this well... 
    it's less about playing and more about what you're seeing and how it tricks the eyes..

acoustics...
    ok this is the one... I am proper shite on acoustic..
    this is cos I have a pussy-ass gentle shredder technique for the neck hand..
    also, my finger-style playing is pretty basic..
    my neck hand does not instinctively generate the power required..
    so I feel like I'm forcing my technique..
    probably because I don't spend a great deal of time with acoustics..
    I tend to only use them for recording..
    that said... I adore my 12-string acoustic.. playing it feels like trying to run in wellies..
    but I absolutely adore the sound it makes
    I can't say I struggle to play acoustics.. more like I feel very held back by them...
    and yes... I know.. take a look at Al Di Meola, John Mac, Paco.. and they shred like nuts on them..
    not me though...

so I guess...
    most comfy... Strats and Super-Strats
    more difficult... acoustics
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    Clarky said:

and also they're dreadful to play standing until you move the strap lock from the end of the upper horn to roughly half way along the underside of it.. then it'll balance perfectly

I tried a fan fret at the show.. took a little getting used to but was ok in the end..

7-string took a little getting used to at first.. but got on well with it after a while

sometimes when I switch from my 24 fret necks to my 22 fret necks, I can get a little mistakey when north of the 15th fret..
    so for example.. Am pentatonic puts you right at the top of the neck on a 22 fret..
    it's less about playing and more about what you're seeing and how it tricks the eyes..

acoustics...
    that said... I adore my 12-string acoustic.. playing it feels like trying to run in wellies..
    I can't say I struggle to play acoustics.. more like I feel very held back by them...
    and yes... I know.. take a look at Al Di Meola, John Mac, Paco.. and they shred like nuts on them..
    not me though...

so I guess...
    Relate to a lot of this. When I had a 24 fret PRS it definitely confused me at the top end of the neck - not that I go up there very much.

With what you said about acoustic, I'm probably the other way.  I grew up playing acoustic most of the time, and only got seriously into electric when I was around 21, so I tend to put too much pressure on with the fretting hand when I'm playing electric.  I really didn't get on with a CS Fender that I had for a while that had huge frets as I kept pulling everything sharp.  I've got rid of that one now, but it did make me aware that I tend to press too hard, so I am working on that.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Les Paul's which is odd as I'm at home on an SG. I always felt hunkered over a les paul.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    The struggle is good because you feel lika a guitar-god when you go back to your favourite. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    crunchman said:
    Clarky said:

acoustics...
    not me though...

so I guess...
    Relate to a lot of this. When I had a 24 fret PRS it definitely confused me at the top end of the neck - not that I go up there very much.

With what you said about acoustic, I'm probably the other way.  I grew up playing acoustic most of the time, and only got seriously into electric when I was around 21, so I tend to put too much pressure on with the fretting hand when I'm playing electric.  I really didn't get on with a CS Fender that I had for a while that had huge frets as I kept pulling everything sharp.  I've got rid of that one now, but it did make me aware that I tend to press too hard, so I am working on that.
    all of my guitars have huge frets...
    over pressure will make you play the notes sharp so I'm conditioned to use the minimum pressure needed plus a gnat's more
    play every note as if it were your first
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    edited March 2018
    I tend to struggle with Floyd equipped guitars as I find the trem a distraction. If they’re set up to float, I find I can’t bend the strings without others slipping out of time (unison bends etc).

It doesn’t stop me fancying the guitars though - Kramer Barrettas and the like...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited March 2018
    adamm82 said:
    hmm i am beginning to think i'll never be happy with this guitar stuff.
    i always have an issue whatever guitar i have.

from gibson tuning stability to nightmares with floyd roses and now i can't even play a tele anguished 

maybe i'll pack it in and buy a motorbike
    seems is time for a PRS - you will be fresh out of excuses then!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • DrJazzTap said:
    Les Paul's which is odd as I'm at home on an SG. I always felt hunkered over a les paul.
    The way they position is pretty different. SG’s sit over more towards the fretting hand side vs a Les Paul
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    In truth, I had a Firebird that I found hellishly difficult to play, even by my fairly low standards.  Gorgeous to look at but a fiendish thing to get comfortable with.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72432
    JerkMoans said:
    In truth, I had a Firebird that I found hellishly difficult to play, even by my fairly low standards.  Gorgeous to look at but a fiendish thing to get comfortable with.
    Same here. I sold it after three weeks.

Oddly enough Explorers aren't anywhere near as bad though. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    edited March 2018
    The longer scale necks, higher tension, (typically) slightly smaller neck radius, and (compared to typical H/B's) lower-output single coil p/ups of Strat's and Tele's means they are physically more demanding to play than say a Gibson SG or LP - but those differences do bring their own rewards. Things you can get away with on an SG/LP are tougher on a Strat/Tele that (comparatively) tend to 'fight back' a little bit - but it does actually help make you a better player. 

It's why Strats/Tele's are brilliant for certain things, and LP/SG's for other stuff - with neither being able to exactly do what the other can.    
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman silhouette, fine sitting down noodling, on a gig, they always seem to be two frets out. I have to look at my hands to see where they are. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    ICBM said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Same here. I sold it after three weeks.

Oddly enough Explorers aren't anywhere near as bad though. 
    Firebirds are an ergonomic car crash. I wanted to love mine so badly but in the end had to go because seeing such a beautiful (not to mention expensive) thing around the house and not being able to play it properly was frustrating as hell...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    I find my Les Paul the most awkward to play. All my other Guitars are 25.5's though, so I suppose that's the reason, the body thickness will factor into it as well I reckon. I love the sound of it though. I try to get used to new challenges regarding Guitar Specs. I never thought I'd buy anything with a Radius smaller than 12", but I've grown really fond of the feel of 9.5 Tele and Strat boards.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    No problems with any guitars.

My 5 string bass is a bit of a problem in controlling open string drone, so I have to consciously think about string muting rather than just letting things flow. I prefer a thumb rest, other fingers muting technique (Jaco style) as opposed to a floating thumb muting technique. String muting comes naturally on a 4 string bass, which make me think that I need to get one for general use and reserve my 5 string for occasions when I need that extra low stuff.

It's not a competition.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    well I feel a bit stupid.
    I lowered the action last night and can play it easy.

I had recently did a set up to get rid of fret buzz and must have gone too high.