Cheapo temporary board power suggestions?

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
edited March 2018 in Guitar
I've done a whoops.  My board is normally powered by a pair of Diago Micropower units + daisy chains, having been formed by amalgamating two.  Courtesy of the iffy CE recall (see the FX topic) I've just sent them both back, not realising that it could be 4-5 weeks rather than days before the replacements arrive.

In an ideal world I need to power my board this weekend and next weekend.  That's 12 devices (11x standard 9v pedals and 1x9v loop switcher at 240ma).

Whilst it's annoying, I don't mind dropping £30 or so on something to tide me over and then relegate it to "spare board" status (or, if it's good, relegate the Diagos). But I don't want to splash out heavy money when I should be getting two perfectly adequate units back in due course.

Does anyone have any recommendations for possible units? Amazon reviews on cheapo stuff aren't always entirely reliable!

My alternative plan is just to rip the pedals I absolutely have to use off the main board and stuff some batteries in them, but that's a bit of a PITA too.

Grr.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited March 2018
    I've got a 1 SPOT and daisy chain for 8 pedals, if it's of any use?

Tenner plus postage.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    You don't have to take the pedals of the board to use batteries. You can get DC leads that attach to a 9v battery to a pedal. Always good to have some as they can be lifesavers if a power supply fails. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Not the smallest but it’s built like a bloody tank!!!! I can testify to how good it is as well... no noise... isolated outs... variable outs... it’s just big!!! 

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Fame-DCT-200-Multi-Power-Supply-/art-GIT0019066-000
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I thought all the cheaper power supplies that claim to be isolated outs actually aren't in the proper sense?
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    Harley Benton power plant junior is £30ish and fully isolated. It comes with a daisy chain so you may be able to do your entire board, I currently use three of them with no issues.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm

Or there's the ISO series:
    https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_1_pro.htm?o=5&search=1521735101
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jack_ said:
    I thought all the cheaper power supplies that claim to be isolated outs actually aren't in the proper sense?
    Normally the case yes... but with the fame it has a big old transformer in it!.. it’s proper isolated outputs!... cheap as chips... big as a house! :)
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2472
    Why not buy a reasonably priced second hand decent supply and then sell it on when you’re done? Andertons had a used T Rex Fuel Tank at £80 yesterday when I was in there...
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    Thanks all.  Suddenly realised I was totally stuffed for rehearsal tomorrow, so have gone "small board" with batteries. It will make me focus on what I'm playing a bit more, and save my back lugging it in and out of the car if nothing else :)

@flying_pie - that's good to know, I'll look out for some to chuck in the kit bag.

@poopot Looks like a monster! Interesting, though; may have to do some tape measure work for that and the HB one's that @Shark_Eyes linked to if Diago don't extract digit from posterior.

@Jack_ thank you; I think if I ditch the Diago stuff (by force or choice) I'll shoot for something that can drive the whole lot off a single outlet.

I was a bit pissed off yesterday and sort of looking for retail therapy. With sensible head on I've only got two rehearsals and two events to get through, I've got a box of batteries, and by the time the next thing comes around the Diago units ought to be back with me. But this is good food for thought for when the major board tidy kicks in soon, as some of those units look like they could do the whole shebang.

• ColsCols Frets: 7012
    I use a Joyo JP02 - nice and quiet and even has an 18v out for my chorus.  Cheapo PSUs are a bit of a minefield; I had a £20 one from Maplin once which generated an unusable amount of hum.
    @Snags I recently built two identical boards and powered each with the Friedman ps. 10 isolated outs each providing 350ma iirc.

Lots of power on tap with that!... 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    Nice.  If I do replace the Diago units, whatever I get has to mount underneath a Pedaltrain Novo 32 as there's no room on top :)
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    poopot said:
    @Snags I recently built two identical boards and powered each with the Friedman ps. 10 isolated outs each providing 350ma iirc.
    Both my boards are Power Grid 10'd too, I love that they're made to use a riser.
    Snags said:
    Nice.  If I do replace the Diago units, whatever I get has to mount underneath a Pedaltrain Novo 32 as there's no room on top :)
    That went ontop at the guitarists request. Does fit underneath, he wanted easy access to it... but, you can mount pedals on top of the ps, heavy duty metal case!!!!!!