What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Jimmy Herring.
    Holy shit this is amazing!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited March 2018
    I don't know why anyone would ever want to own or play an HH strat. Surely just pick up a Gibson. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72445
    thegummy said:

Wow I didn't know that. I've always kind of half wished he used a humbucker guitar, would love to hear it. Was it with Deep Purple or later?
    Deep Purple. I think it was for the Burn tour.

From what I’ve read he had major problems with hum on the Strat, so I would guess it was for practical rather than tone reasons. The pickups look like Bill Lawrences, which are quite bright for humbuckers.

Roger Glover also earlier had his Rick bass modded with two Fender Jazz pickups - which are hum cancelling when both are on together - I think for the same reason.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:

Wow I didn't know that. I've always kind of half wished he used a humbucker guitar, would love to hear it. Was it with Deep Purple or later?
    Deep Purple. I think it was for the Burn tour.

From what I’ve read he had major problems with hum on the Strat, so I would guess it was for practical rather than tone reasons. The pickups look like Bill Lawrences, which are quite bright for humbuckers.

Roger Glover also earlier had his Rick bass modded with two Fender Jazz pickups - which are hum cancelling when both are on together - I think for the same reason.
    Ritchie’s session work was mostly on his 1961 ES335 and you’ll see it on clips of early Purple. Apparently it’s the guitar on Hush. The strat seems to have been for practical reasons because his 335 would feedback at the volume levels DP were achieving. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Me!

l’m famous at The Plough AND The White Hart!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    Eric Bell had 2 humbuckers  on his Strat - albeit HSH format
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    BBBlues said:
    I don't know why anyone would ever want to own or plan an HH strat. Surely just pick up a Gibson. 
    Simple... feel of the Strat, sound of the Gibson. You don’t only have rigid choices.

Or actually, somewhere in between with sound, since a humbucker Strat doesn’t sound quite like a Les Paul.

You might also want that sound with a Strat trem, which works very differently from a Bigsby.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    https://i.imgur.com/AhyXj89.jpg

Andy Fairweather Lowe used this slightly oddball HH strat a bit. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    BBBlues said:
    I don't know why anyone would ever want to own or play an HH strat. Surely just pick up a Gibson. 
    The reason I'm considering one is because I bought a Gibson but apart from the sound I find it very hard to like anything about it.

It won't sound exactly like a LP but will sound a lot more like one than an SSS Strat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
      BBBlues said

Still has a certain fidelity and articulation that a Gibson doesn't - just check out Landau's sound for that. May also want a trem, prefer the scale length, and prefer a comfortable shape which is an iconic 20th Century classic, want a guitar that stays in tune and one where the headstock doesn't fall off. You may want a guitar that doesn't weigh a tonne and isn't an ergonomic mess. etc. etc.

Apart from that, yeah, what's the point

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I've always wanted a strat with a humbucker in. It's an itch I've never scratched. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    DrJazzTap said:
    I've always wanted a strat with a humbucker in. It's an itch I've never scratched. 
    I've ordered an HH pickguard from Amazon Prime, going to transplant the Bare Knuckles into my Strat for a trial period and see how much I like it.

The Strat I like as a potential permanent HH is pretty expensive though, might need to save for a while lol.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited March 2018
    dindude said:
      BBBlues said

Still has a certain fidelity and articulation that a Gibson doesn't - just check out Landau's sound for that. May also want a trem, prefer the scale length, and prefer a comfortable shape which is an iconic 20th Century classic, want a guitar that stays in tune and one where the headstock doesn't fall off. You may want a guitar that doesn't weigh a tonne and isn't an ergonomic mess. etc. etc.

ok I'll ignore the silly headstock falling off point but...

- scale length fair point
    - neck shape, hmm ok but there are loads of other HH options
    - use of trem and stay in tune is pretty much an oxymoron
    - 20th century classic : it's simply not if you butcher it with HH pickups
    - weight and ergo: ok, a PRS then

My point is why mod a strat to the position where it's not a strat - 100s of other HH options on the market. 
    BBBlues said:
    dindude said:
      BBBlues said

ok I'll ignore the silly headstock falling off point but...

My point is why mod a strat to the position where it's not a strat - 100s of other HH options on the market. 
    It is possible to use the trem and it stay in tune if it's set up correctly. But with the Strat you can choose not to use the trem and it will stay in tune much much better than a Gibson.

What would be the benefit of getting a PRS or any other guitar if someone likes the feel of Strats?

P.S. the headstock thing is very real, I know a few people who've had to have it repaired!
  • BBBlues said:
    I've tried SGs, Les Pauls etc, but find them uncomfortable for various reasons. My HH Tele partscaster is great. 

If your after a HH Strat, the blacktop one is very good. The 5 way switch has some interesting options. 
    BBBlues said:

You don't need to mod it... you can buy them new like that - including from Fender, so I would say that definitely does make it "a Strat".

Why does it matter if its "not a Strat" anyway? If it's the guitar that does what you want, then surely it's the right solution.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    If it says Stratocaster on the headstock and Fender made it then its  a strat.Never understood the crap about purity .Its all bolloxx ..Its just  a guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    rossi said:
    If it says Stratocaster on the headstock and Fender made it then its  a strat.Never understood the crap about purity .Its all bolloxx ..Its just  a guitar.
    I do agree.

I mean, if someone says "I prefer a Strat for that kind of lick" I'd take it to mean SSS and think it would be confusing to say that and mean otherwise but the idea of declaring "that isn't a Strat" seems silly.

Also, I'm considering an HH Strat because I really like the feel of the guitar, not because I want to play "a Strat" for any non-practical reason.

I watched a YouTube video where a guy compared a PRS SE to a Core series and the guy was knowledgeable and listed some key differences. But then he said that a big difference is that the SE "isn't a Paul Reed Smith, it's a PRS" which I found bizarre because, firstly, we all know what those initials stand for, but also because of this weird concept of something having a status that had nothing to do with it as a physical object.

When they started including Paul's signature one year it pretty much destroyed the theory anyway.
    Tonight I tried to install humbuckers on my Strat - it turns out that, due to the fairly shallow routing on the Strat, the lowest I can set the pickups would still set them millimeters from the strings.

What's the deal with this then, do Fender make specific humbuckers with legs a lot shorter than normal ones?

Do people who install non-Fender humbuckers in Strats chisel more out of the body to fit them in?

I didn't even think to measure this before doing it, I made an assumption it would fit based on it being relatively common to do this.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    edited March 2018
    thegummy said:
    Tonight I tried to install humbuckers on my Strat - it turns out that, due to the fairly shallow routing on the Strat, the lowest I can set the pickups would still set them millimeters from the strings.

What's the deal with this then, do Fender make specific humbuckers with legs a lot shorter than normal ones?

Do people who install non-Fender humbuckers in Strats chisel more out of the body to fit them in?

I didn't even think to measure this before doing it, I made an assumption it would fit based on it being relatively common to do this.
    Are you using a Squier Affinity body  or maybe a BBBBBBullet or a cheap import the body may well be thinner than a standard strat .I have fitted buckers to an SX body and a GFS body  with complete success .They were both full depth .