The H9 in use "live"

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
So how easy is it to use live?
Every time I've bought a multi fx I gave up as theres nowt easier than stepping on a single stomp, but the H9 intrigues me continually
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
    See that just scares the crap out of me
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    When I used mine, I had it plumbed in to my G2, ie. it changed preset when I selected a patch on the G2. I did all my editing from the iPad app. I don't think I could use the front panel on the actual pedal if you paid me! :)

R.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7201
    When I used mine, I had it plumbed in to my G2, ie. it changed preset when I selected a patch on the G2. I did all my editing from the iPad app. I don't think I could use the front panel on the actual pedal if you paid me! :)

R.
    This is definitely the way to use it. Midi program changes and the app; I was exactly the same, but for it being the MC6 instead of G2 doing the changes. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I don't use midi with mine and it's a doddle to use.
    I think the most important thing is to see if you like the eventide sound. It's a bit of an opinion splitter
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    I found it hopeless live. Hated the pedal UI, the app on a phone is rubbish and I wasn’t taking an iPad to gigs. I don’t use midi so that wasn’t an option.

For me it was a nice distraction for a while but within a couple of months I absolutely hated it :)
  • I don’t play live, but I find the H9 easy to use without an app. You can assign the x, y, and z buttons to whatever “knob” you like, and then adjust them on the fly by tapping one, then turning the big knob.

It’s actually better than real knobs, I reckon, because a) it’s all lit up, so you can see what you set in the dark. And b) the display tells you what you’re setting. 

Changing patches live, though might be best left to midi 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I found it hopeless live. Hated the pedal UI, the app on a phone is rubbish and I wasn’t taking an iPad to gigs. I don’t use midi so that wasn’t an option.

For me it was a nice distraction for a while but within a couple of months I absolutely hated it :)

Completely agree with @Moe_Zambeek ‘s sagacious comments here - it was an utter pain in the arse live!
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    simonk said:

Completely agree with @Moe_Zambeek ‘s sagacious comments here - it was an utter pain in the arse live!

Yeah, I wouldn't want to twiddle anything live. So I didn't, and just used presets. Works fine like that.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
    Good 
    That's cured that GAS then. Thanks men
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    If you're a twiddler during gigs then this isn't for you. I do all my adjustments at home and save then and switch presets using midi. If I ever needed to change something like the mix live then it's easy to do using the XYZ buttons 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I wonder what people want from the H9 live. How much knob twiddling does one do during a gig anyway?

You have instant access to three knobs, and they’re all lit up, so it’s better than a regular pedal on a dark stage. And switching presets is not really any harder than switching a few regular pedals on and off, with the advantage (again) of the LED display telling you which preset is loaded. 

Swapping presets quickly during a song is certainly a lot trickier, but then again, compare it to using normal pedals. You can’t easily switch more than one of those either.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Put it this way I sold my strymons due to the H9. Sounds great, versatile, small footprint and easy to switch using a midi switcher. Alternatively just plan your set and put the presets in order then it's a simple case of cycling through them. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3408
    Good 
    That's cured that GAS then. Thanks men
    ...although that Helix effects thingy looks pretty easy to use live

;-)
  • You could get a digitech fxs3 footswitch with that you can program it to pretty much tell the H9 to do anything, tap tempo, increase/decrease presets, operate the looper, change parameters on any patch etc also use a simple midi switcher like a tech 21 midi moose to change presets and then you don't even have to touch the H9. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7553
    Yes the FSX3 gives you easier options for changing patch or bank

and yes the XYZ knobs are super handy for on the fly tweaks

but using a midi controller seems to be how most gigging folk use them (I had a G2 when I had mine) 
    Red ones are better.