American 90's College Rock appreciation thread

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• dtr said:
    How about Pavement, Mercury Rev, Dinosaur Jr, Califone/Red Red Meat, Sonic Youth, Beck. John Spencer Blues Explosion...  or are they something else?

Red Red Meat are still in my top 5 fave bands of all time..

others to consider are POND

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J4TIk-C-GhA

and Eric’s Trip

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UvzwfQoo5zM

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    edited April 2018
    I really liked Pond. I saw them supporting Throwing Muses at the Junction, Cambridge ages ago. Bought the Young Splendor single on green vinyl and a couple of albums. I think you must be the only other person I've encountered who has heard of them!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179
    edited April 2018

Madder Rose were real John Peel Favourites atthe time.

dtr said:
    How about Pavement, Mercury Rev, Dinosaur Jr, Califone/Red Red Meat, Sonic Youth, Beck. John Spencer Blues Explosion...  or are they something else?

Red Red Meat are still in my top 5 fave bands of all time..

others to consider are POND

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J4TIk-C-GhA

and Eric’s Trip

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UvzwfQoo5zM

Brain dead Red Red Meat .

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Just resurrecting this, as I've created a collaborative playlist (that has nothing in it yet!) for these bands. 

I'll add some songs later today hopefully but feel free to add your own;

https://open.spotify.com/user/joneve/playlist/2aKwdaH510Qe8nSpquQzlV?si=JDlbPGyzS7ebcZKVz2APlg
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9624
    Madder Rose were great, got a few of their records. Some other stuff I have of that era - Tsunami, Velocity Girl, Sebadoh, the excellent Fuzzy, Luna, Chuck Prophet...
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    My 2p worth

Anastasia Screamed

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    And of course, The Pursuit of Happiness 

• matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179
    Madder Rose were great, got a few of their records. Some other stuff I have of that era - Tsunami, Velocity Girl, Sebadoh, the excellent Fuzzy, Luna, Chuck Prophet...

Excellent, I regularly have Sebadoh binge listens along with Buffalo Tom and the wonderful Madder Rose....the 90's were pretty cool really.
    If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• Yes indeed, Madder Rose were a great band, I need to hear their first album again, it's been years. Beautiful John is a classic.
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    edited October 2019
    Resurrecting an old thread! Saw Hootie and the Blowfish in Bristol last night. They’re not fashionable, never were, but an amazing live band putting 110% into the show. Definitely on the ‘top ten live bands’ list for me! And they did a cover of Losing My Religion with Peter Holsapple on keys (he played acoustic on the original version). Finished with a version of Champagne Supernova that showed how good that song could be .....

.... the audience was full of fat bald blokes like me! And we were all as happy as the proverbial pigs! 

’While we were getting high’! 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    robwright said:
    Resurrecting an old thread! Saw Hootie and the Blowfish in Bristol last night. They’re not fashionable, never were, but an amazing live band putting 110% into the show. Definitely on the ‘top ten live bands’ list for me! And they did a cover of Losing My Religion with Peter Holsapple on keys (he played acoustic on the original version). Finished with a version of Champagne Supernova that showed how good that song could be .....

.... the audience was full of fat bald blokes like me! And we were all as happy as the proverbial pigs! 

Nice one. Saw them back in the day on the Fairweather Johnson tour (Wolverhampton Civic). Didn't realise they'd reformed and were touring.
    robwright said:

I'm absolutely gutted I missed this. My best friend and I have wanted to see them since Musical Chairs was released (which is when we became aware of them)...And couldn't make it work. Hopefully they re-tour soon, with another album coming out soon. 

robwright said:

Nice one. Saw them back in the day on the Fairweather Johnson tour (Wolverhampton Civic). Didn't realise they'd reformed and were touring.
    They never officially split up, but Darius does his own stuff and they've all done other projects over the years so took a not-really-planned hiatus. they've always done a few shows a year, i.e. for their Monday after the Masters charity golf event. But they're just about to release their first album in over a decade. 
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2364
    The Pixies, Throwing Muses and The Pursuit of Happiness were out late 80s,  no?

How about The Rembrandts, Sophie B Hawkins...