Fret third, distance between string and first?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3606
On a Strat, is there an ideal distance? Mine is 0.3 mm.
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16794
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3606
    feet?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16794
    robgilmo said:
    feet?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    b or not 2 b ?
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    Graphtech say 0.25 on E and 0.15 on e
    I am down to that now, but on my snark when I fret an f on the e string I am two bars sharp, that shouldn't matter too much should it?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    robgilmo said:
    I am down to that now, but on my snark when I fret an f on the e string I am two bars sharp, that shouldn't matter too much should it?
    Unless it's an incredibly precise tuner I wouldn't be happy with it being two bars sharp.

As far as I know, the ideal distance is one file motion away from it actually touching the fret and it looks to the naked eye like it's touching but if you touch it, it makes a pingy noise indicating it is't already touching it.
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    I've just measures a couple of my prs... 1 is at 0.1 on both e's and the other is at 0.15. Neither fret sharp at the first fret
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    tFB Trader
    robgilmo said:
    Gap should be such that you can only JUST detect a gap- sort of rizla paper to writing paper gap
    If that still fails (and the strings are FRESH) then consider an Earvana nut

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Surely with such small gaps you get all kinds of open string buzz?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

You shouldn't, unfretted you rely on bridge action.Im having a wine break, will start back in  a bit, but its getting there!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    tFB Trader
    robgilmo said:

You shouldn't, unfretted you rely on bridge action.Im having a wine break, will start back in  a bit, but its getting there!

if you can put a capo on at the first fret and play cleanly 
    then in theory you should be able to get away with the same height over the first fret from the nut as you were having over the second fret when capoed at the first..almost like a guitar with a zero fret 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Aim for about 0.05mm on the top E string up to 0.1mm for the low E - or Rizla paper, as FelineGuitars said.

It doesn't have to be exact, but the gap should be much smaller than the string diameter. 0.3mm is slightly larger than the top E diameter.

PRS use a slightly forward compensated nut position which also helps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9742
    Don't forget that fretted notes might be sharp due to technique rather than the intonation being out. It's not unheard off to be holding down a string and bending it slightly at the same time.

Also, stupid question but I'm assuming that the intonation at the twelfth fret has already been sorted?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Its the nut height, its still way too high, I stopped for a wine break and didnt get back to it, damn wine! I should finish it tonight.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    ICBM said:
    Aim for about 0.05mm on the top E string up to 0.1mm for the low E - or Rizla paper, as FelineGuitars said.

It doesn't have to be exact, but the gap should be much smaller than the string diameter. 0.3mm is slightly larger than the top E diameter.

Wasn't that patented in the 80's?  The patent should have expired by now.  I don't understand why other manufacturers don't do the same.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    As @ICBM said, PRS move the nut closer to the first fret to ‘sweeten’ the tuning over the first few frets - I believe the Buzz Feiten system does the same.

I wouldn’t worry too much about how notes at the first fret read on a tuner - the real issue is if they actually sound ‘out’. Owing to the physics of guitars, not every note will be ‘in’ on a tuner - the whole thing is a compromise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:

Wasn't that patented in the 80's?  The patent should have expired by now.  I don't understand why other manufacturers don't do the same.
    As @ICBM said, PRS move the nut closer to the first fret to ‘sweeten’ the tuning over the first few frets - I believe the Buzz Feiten system does the same.
    Buzz Feiten did patent it, as part of his ‘system’ - but that shouldn’t have been allowed since other makers, including PRS and Hamer, were already doing it.

I wouldn’t worry too much about how notes at the first fret read on a tuner - the real issue is if they actually sound ‘out’. Owing to the physics of guitars, not every note will be ‘in’ on a tuner - the whole thing is a compromise.
    The odd thing is that one of the most ‘in tune’ guitars I’ve ever heard was my Rickenbacker 660/12, which does not have a compensated nut position. But it does have the ability to set the neck very straight and the action very low, since you don’t tend to bend strings on a 12-string.

I also used rolled-wound strings on it, which seem to intonate very evenly - flatwounds even more so. It intonated to within +/- 1 cent on every string at every fret, except for a couple of the thickest strings at the very last fret.

For what it’s worth, the more even intonation of flatwounds is why 50s Les Pauls have the bridge set straighter on the body than modern ones - that’s what they were designed for.

At the end of the day it’s all a complex combination of factors - but it’s part of why guitars sound like guitars. If you eliminate them all and produce perfect intonation it starts to sound too much like a sampled guitar rather than a real one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thos is true, and this has small vintage type frets so it wont get any worse unless I press unusually hard, I have been playing it at every step between reducing the gap and it sounds Ok.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14428
    tFB Trader

I knew that but forgot about it - almost a kept secret - they make no fuss about it - but you do generally find excellent intonation on a PRS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom