Rory Gallagher Live

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
Anyone here ever get to see Rory Gallagher in his earlier solo days? What colour check shirt? What was the openner? What was the encore? Which amp - Vox or Bassman?
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• Saw him at his last ever Irish gig - was an acoustic session in a college which RTE recorded but has never surfaced....
    What a legend. Holy moly.
    Would have killed to see him in his early days..

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    Saw him, plus group, live in either 1968 or ‘69, when I was at Uni - the gig was in a pub in Cambridge. I remember it as being extremely good.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    I saw him four times in the late 70s, I think it was Vox with Marshall extension cabinet.

After seeing lots of indistinguishable rock bands I loved seeing Rory pull up a stool and doing a 20 minute acoustic set in the middle, it set him apart from most others. 

I think an extended version of Shadow Play was sometimes an encore, but I'm not too sure tbh 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4812
    I saw him a few times in the early/mid '70s, and he was always great. The only one I remember well enough for it to have stuck in my mind was at The Royal Albert Hall. 1975? My mate Nick & I were very near the front. Close enough that, when he picked up the mandolin and the crowd started clapping the rhythm for "Going To My Home Town", I'll swear I could see him blush. 

Opener? No idea. Amp? I've seen him play the Vox, obv and I think a tweed something-or-other, too. Can't remember what for that gig, though. I was still playing classical then and hadn't made the crossing to the electric side... 

There's a very fine Rory tribute out there called Sinner Boy which does a grand job of recreating the music and the feel without trying to look or act like Rory. Well worth checking out. With your eyes closed and when he's not singing....   
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2611
    I think I saw him solo or with Taste about 5 times.  Various colour check shirts, plus obligatory denim jacket of course.  Always put on a very honest, hard-working show.

Tbh I can't remember loads of detail.  I was briefly quite a big fan, and my first ever band did about 5 of his songs, Laundromat and Messing With The Kid being 2 I remember.  Sometimes you listen to music you loved when you were younger and it still hits the spot, other times you're scratching your head wondering what you ever saw in it.  Fond memories of Rory as a persona, but I don't get anything much out of his music nowadays.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    edited March 2018
    Wow folks here who saw Taste - they were just fantastic
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    Saw him several times in the late 70"s & early to mid 80"s, Photo Finish, Stagestruck sort of era with Ted McKenna & Gerry McAvoy, not sure if those are the days you are on about.
    Various colour check shirts with a  denim jacket, waistcoat or cut off denim & iirc a Vox.
    Real powerhouse of a trio with Rory being one of the best strat players of all time IMHO.
    I wonder what the odds were that a small country like Ireland could produce one of the best ever strat players, & in Gary Moore one of the best ever LP players (although Gary Moore was pretty mean on a strat also) IMO.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Unfortunately i'm too young and beautiful to have seen him live, big fan though :) 

My Dad's uni roommate actually got me into him when i was a much smaller, and now i work with a guy who used to roadie for Mark Bolan, who has many stories of the 70's including drinking with Rory :)