Thoughts on price negotiations/haggling in store?

What's Hot
vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
edited March 2018 in Guitar
Hi all,

I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on negotiating on price / haggling in store?

I have only done this once because the price was cheaper on the store's own website (got them to match it), but is this generally an accepted or even expected practice? (Obviously, I am talking about being polite and not being rude / taking the micky)

What sort of discount should you aim for? (I appreciate that this will vary depending on the price range of the guitar that you are interested in).

I suppose I've never really done this as I feel a little cheeky asking...

Thanks in advance for any opinions
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    tFB Trader
    Hi all,

I have only done this once because the price was cheaper on the store's own website (got them to match it), 
    that is wrong in my opinion - IMO bad practice to offer 2 different prices for what is effectively the same business on the same product - so well worth pointing it out

Otherwise I'm not sure I'm the best person to pass comment - as a retailer an easy answer might be don't ask - But that is not fair either - 40 years behind the counter and I think I've seen it all and how to, or not to, go about it - No hard fast rule IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7081
    tFB Trader
    When I've bought from PMT, they generally have a "lowest price" which is less than the ticket price. Looking at Fender basses yesterday though, none carried a price ticket.
  • JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
    edited March 2018
    Not hard-faced enough.. i'd have to send the wife in. 
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2018
    Wear a long coat Tell them you have seen it cheaper elsewhere and ask if they can match that price. 

Although I once asked in-store what was the best price they could do, and the manager did an online price comparison right in front of me. When I was outside I checked on my phone and immediately found 3 places £200 cheaper than his price match!

It's a pity cos he said it was the best J45 that had ever come into the store, probably the best one Gibson had ever made 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Price mis match can be common as the web might have an algorithm to check competitor's.

But just ask.

Dont pick a silly low price though as your less likely to get a positive reaction.

Pick a price youre happy with and go in a bit lower.

If they say they will check online and see if it's cheaper just point out you haven't asked that and just want to know where they will go to.

But always be polite and if you're negotiating be actually ready to buy.

But guitars are unique in that not everyone is identical so it' sometimes worth a bit more to be sure you have a good one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    edited March 2018
    No harm in asking, you never know what you might get offered. The two tier pricing is definitely naughty, they should price match their own web price in store without having to ask. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited March 2018
    Haggling is an art and I always haggle on medium to larger purchases be it services, carpets, electrical goods, guitar gear etc. There's an old adage - you don't ask you don't get.  For some reason (as a sweeping generalisation) the 'British' don't feel anything like as comfortable haggling as e.g. our European, Russian, Asian friends etc.  It's one of those odd cultural things I think - haggling is just not seen as very British or proper ...and it goes with our in-built genetic willingness to queue! cheesy grin 

But it's not cheeky at all. Prices are often more 'fluid' than you might think. Firstly, an asking price is an 'invitation to treat' - it's merely inviting an offer from you. Secondly, stores need two things to survive - ideally profit, but also cash-flow.  Depending on the stores sales, profits and cash-flow there is usually some room for manoeuvre.  But even if there isn't it might be that stuff can be negotiated to be 'thrown-in' too e.g. a guitar strap, gig-bag, strings, capod, guitar lead etc etc. 

So don't be shy!  Haggling reaps dividends. And if you come out feeling a store's done a good deal, chances you'll be back - so another reason most stores have some flexibility.  Oh, and sometimes (particularly smaller stores) going in with cash in your hand can be an advantage because stores have to pay fees on credit card transactions.   

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
    @dbphoto is your man. He'd get it you for free.  :3
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I can't haggle. It's not in my DNA. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 294
    As @DanR has said - Wis awarded. Be polite but firm, and have a clear price range that you are prepared to pay. Also consider the shopping experience and how supportive you think the retailer will be if you subsequently have issues or questions. If you're not happy, and the item is not unique, tell them you'll think it over which leaves your options open. As an aside, I've recently asked John Lewis to consider the price they quoted under their 'never knowingly undersold' marketing feature. No response to first email, and after a polite reminder all I got back was a policy statement and no answer regarding the alternative supplier product details and cost I'd provided. A master class in how to lose a sale.
  • I'm pretty good at haggling and getting a deal, Mrs Returns sends me to do that job when she wants a big purchase while she sits in a corner of the shop cringing with the horror of being so British! 

To be fair though, in some cases, particularly my lgs, I often have to haggle him UP because he tries to sell me stuff without making anything on top. Eg bought some music kit that he special ordered for me yesterday, £160 but it cost him £156 to get it in. I guess when you have a good relationship it becomes two way 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    Freebird said: It's a pity cos he said it was the best J45 that had ever come into the store, probably the best one Gibson had ever made 
    Outlandish dealer claim #763...

axisus said:
    Do you wanna buy a ltd edn CS Esquire Relic, £2k?  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  brilliant sketch - forgot about it and not seen it for years
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2018
    axisus said: 
    Try living in Asia or anywhere similar, you would get destroyed everytime you went shopping You even have to ask the price before you eat or drink anything, as the bill could miraculously triple in size!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    The bigger retailers like Andertons or PMT I'll always try to get a bit of discount. Always check other web prices as they will match them, also if the item is offered online with free delivery I'll get delivery cost taken off.

The line, "Now then, if I pay you cash, today, will you give me a discount?" delivered with a smile to the right person can produce good results. The retailers pay in time and money for credit card transactions and this is built into the price. 

Smaller retailers I'm happy to pay full price if I receive good service. 
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    My LGS will only sell at full RRP, which are  prices I have never seen anywhere else as everyone seems to offer some sort of discount off RRP from what I have seen, hence he doesn"t get any of my business.
    I recently looked at a used amp he had which was £20 dearer than what I could get it for new elsewhere including delivery.
    When I mentioned to him that the amp was dearer used than I could get it for new he replied that it wasn"t as it was £40 cheaper than RRP.
    I also went into PMT recently to look at amps & asked if they could do a particular amp any cheaper for cash & they informed me that their price was already discounted & the cheapest price available.
    It wasn"t as it was advertised elsewhere cheaper, they didn"t attempt to price match or to check prices so I didn"t buy it.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I often haggle. Only rules are be polite and be reasonable. As far a guitar shops are concerned, From memory I've successfully negotiated lower prices with Reddog, GG and Andertons. None have seemed surprised that I have wanted to pay a lower price. Only disappointment I have had was with GG once in store when considering a p/x with a guitar i owned. It was bizarre, they offered a very fair cash price but wouldn't raise the offer if I p/x against something else. Still don't understand that.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I noticed a lot of pmt’s guitars havnt hsd prices on lately, and instead have a hang tag which states ‘ask us for the best price in the uk’ or something similar. 

Being a cynic, I bet they just give you their web price when you ask! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1102
    Cash is king! Especially with the indies I've found! With the bigger stores they all pay a fee for the interest free finance which is often built into the price so if your paying there and then you can normally save a few quick on the higher value items.