Cioks DC5 wiring question(on a PT Nano+)

noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
edited March 2018 in FX
Is it ok for any of the power leads to pass between the power block and the back of the pedals (i.e. through the centre gap in the pedalboard), or would that cause overheating/interference, or be undesirable in some other way?

I’m wondering where it’s best to locate the PSU - roughly in the centre of the board seems to be the best option so the mains power cable isn’t under strain.

If anyone’s got a pic of a their successfully wired PT Nano or Metro, that would be helpful!

Edit:OK, this is what I’ve managed to rig up. No leads are under tension or placing strain on connectors. I’ve threaded the 3 leads by the side of the block rather than underneath it. One lead is right near where the mains cable plugs in, but hopefully that shouldn’t cause any interference.

Now to cable tie it in place temporarily and actually test it! If any pedals complain about being near the PSU I’m going to be so pissed off as I can’t really see any other way to wire this up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8640608@N02/shares/64S5qp
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    I did it with mine, no issues:

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    no issues with mine. Only wahs may present issues being near power.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited March 2018
    Thanks @RandallFlagg - I’ve powered it up and there’s no noise through the amp - has actually removed a faint opto ticking from the Empress trem which used to happen on bypass when it was on a daisychain.

Just need to get a responsible adult to do the drilling for me now! 
    :3 
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited March 2018
    Aaaaaaargh I’ve just realised I’m going to have to take all the sodding Velcro off the board aren’t I... bet I’ve not got enough to put back on...

Edit... OK, the instruction video says to mark and drill from the underside - phew!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7437
    On my regular Nano no drilling was required - it just wedges in there haha 
    Red ones are better. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Is it ok for any of the power leads to pass between the power block and the back of the pedals (i.e. through the centre gap in the pedalboard), or would that cause overheating/interference, or be undesirable in some other way?

I’m wondering where it’s best to locate the PSU - roughly in the centre of the board seems to be the best option so the mains power cable isn’t under strain.

If anyone’s got a pic of a their successfully wired PT Nano or Metro, that would be helpful!
    The Metro has a thing (this is probably not the correct word) in the middle of the base which I reckon is probably best avoided with leads of any sort because it sits so near the floor and could squash the leads. 

Other than the thing, I think you can do what you want. 
    Couple of pics. 
    Tell you what I've found really handy and that's the colour coded leads.  Just blobs of nail varnish but really easy to see what connects to what.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    DC5 is an inherently low noise design...electrical noise I mean into any pedals on top of it.
  • Does the Cioks have proprietary sockets? They look like phono sockets, not the standard boss centre-negative style. Looking to get a DC5 for my Metro setup but wondering if my existing cables will be useless with it.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    Does the Cioks have proprietary sockets? They look like phono sockets, not the standard boss centre-negative style. Looking to get a DC5 for my Metro setup but wondering if my existing cables will be useless with it.
    They are indeed phono... so yes, useless I’m afraid. They come with their own though, and if you’re short any then hotrox sell em. PM me first though, I’ve got billions. 
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited March 2018
    Does the Cioks have proprietary sockets? They look like phono sockets, not the standard boss centre-negative style. Looking to get a DC5 for my Metro setup but wondering if my existing cables will be useless with it.
    They are indeed phono... so yes, useless I’m afraid. They come with their own though, and if you’re short any then hotrox sell em. PM me first though, I’ve got billions. 
    That's friggin daft. Okay, will do, cheers.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    That's friggin daft. Okay, will do, cheers.
    They’re not expensive, don’t worry 
  • cLepto-basscLepto-bass Frets: 13
    edited March 2018
    I found the Cioks phono leads to be really flimsy. After years of using the other "normal" style I was surprised when 4 of my Cioks phono leads split and exposed the copper after only 7 months. In the end I sold the uni. 
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    I found the Cioks phono leads to be really flimsy. After years of using the other "normal" style I was surprised when 4 of my Cioks phono leads split and exposed the copper after only 7 months. In the end I sold the uni. 
    The same for me - I just bought some replacements. Amazing unit otherwise, but the leads do tend to break, and I've never gigged mine and only rearranged the board once!