NPD Wampler Ace Thirty

Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
Picked this up for a bargain price last week. 
Haven't rehearsed or gigged with it but first impressions at 'loud home' volume are very good. Dead on Vox tone - I've had AC30s and an AC15 and use an early 60s AC-30/6 in the studio sometimes and this is spot on! 
Only thing that I'm surprised about is how much headroom it has on the AC-30 side - to get it to crunch up you really need the gain high and the boost on. Anyone else find that? The AC-15 setting breaks up earlier as you'd expect. I'm using it into a Custom Vibrolux Reverb. 
Any other Ace Thirty or Thirty Something users out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 668
    I used to have one and used it a lot, and for the life of me can’t remember why I sold it! It’s a great pedal!

And yeah, the AC30 side had loads of headroom. 

I might go and start looking for another one now!
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    I had one, sold it, forgot why, then rebought it and remembered.

I really liked it clean - it's amazingly Voxlike - but not so much with any drive on it.

The Tech 21 Liverpool has a more useful and more versatile Voxy overdrive sound IMHO. 

• Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Good to know it's not just me then re:headroom
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Anyone tried adjusting the internal input gain trimmer on this. Mine is all the way clockwise and I turned it a little bit the other way to see if I could get slightly less headroom - completely changed the sound - very muffled and woolly. Not what I was expecting!