Soldering iron...a request

What's Hot
What good quality soldering iron would people on here recommend please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hakko fx888d soldering station is what I use, variable power and bright display (so you don't leave it on!) ... they're not cheap but I wasted a lot of money on rubbish before I finally stumped up for it. Should say, I'm no soldering expert, but this one works for me  :)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    What are you primarily going to use it for?  The hakko is excellent but a lot of money if it’s only going to be used once or twice a year.  
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Xytronic are good value.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7041
    tFB Trader
    I've got two Atten AT938D soldering stations. One is to fix the other when it breaks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Depending on your budget and usage - I would recommend the hakko as mentioned above but if you want cheaper the Atten is also very good. I got over years usage out of the atten before it broke down (that includes soldering every single day for a year) 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    I've got two Atten AT938D soldering stations. One is to fix the other when it breaks.
    Haha wisdom appropriately applied I got a good year’s usage out of the Atten and when it broke I didn’t have a spare iron to fix it! 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28457
    I have two Weller WS51 stations. Lovely things; every part replaceable (only had to replace a few tips over a good decade or longer). Easily copes with lead free temperatures.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9658
    I also have a Hakko fx888D. I haven't actually used it for much yet, but I think it's a good investment for £120 (I've gone through 3 Antex 25W mains irons over the years). For less than half that price the 45W Vellemann or 60W Atten stations (as seen in Maplins) seem to be reliable enough.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24376
    Be aware that the market is saturated with fake Hakko irons.  If you do get one, get it only from an official distributor.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Duratool station from Farnell, easy to get spares too.
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    Thanks guys, it's just to do some rewiring on guitars and simple soldering stuff, I'll have a look at the options
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KBPN1ZU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Katsu 40w soldering station  - £25 from Amazon. Only caveat is you'll need a working soldering iron to do a little modification to ensure long term reliability - the socket pad connections are a bit ropey from the factory - Big Clive has a video on YT showing the procedure. After that is done though it is superb - well worth £25 of anybody's money.

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    There are a lot of bargains out there but you're bound to go through a few over the years. Or, you might get lucky.

This seller is 100% genuine. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAKKO-FX-888D-Genuine-UK-PLUG/222895539404?hash=item33e59c04cc:g:lXUAAOSwtTVZjaGo

£118 and will last you. 

I have the fancier version and bought mine from him. The markings on the box show that his stock is in fact from an authorised Hakko reseller... MOTWYW.