Oil City Liquidator Tele Pups?

BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
I'm about to order a HB sized P90 from Ash, in the absence of any secondhand Bridge offerings, and at the same time I'm thinking about some new Tele Pickups. Thinking of going non trad and turning it into a bit of a rock monster. The Liquidators have potentially caught my eye.....anyone using them on here? What do you think? Will I need some leather jeans to justify using them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    Never tried them but I bought an Alligator recently and it's great.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1818
    edited March 2018
    Depends on how got set up your amp I guess.

I have an Oil City 49er in my Tele bridge (slightly less output than Alligator /Liquidator but thicker than twangy Tele) and it rocks with a bit of gain. It's great for Green Day type tones. 
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    I'm not 100% which way to go tbh. Fancy a really pokey set. Not really interested in twang, more raw, gritty in your face.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9744
    edited March 2018
    I've got an OilCity Alligator 90 in my Esquire-alike. Bit of a gritty snarly rock monster when turned up, but can do smooooth too. However if I was buying again I'd probably choose the OilCity Kaman 90 instead for a little more warmth.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Interesting. I've been looking at those two as well - both sound quite interesting.
    I recorded a quick sample of the 49er bridge for another thread a while ago. Its just a Boss GT 100 with a generic clean amp setting followed by a medium gain Marshall type sound into Audacity with no extra processing. Might give an idea so you can base the other pickups around it. 

Listen to Oil City 49er Telecaster bridge pickup by TheFlyingPie #np on #SoundCloud
    Cheers @flying_pie that's useful - as you say it should help imagine how much more, or less, of everything some of the others may be.
    Barrivee said:
    Cheers @flying_pie that's useful - as you say it should help imagine how much more, or less, of everything some of the others may be.
    Perhaps. I must confess to finding pickup samples of relatively little use as individual guitar setup, playing style and amp choice can make a massive difference regardless of the pickups used. 

Speaking of which I should point out that I set up my pickups quite high, use 10-52 strings and my style isn't the most refined 
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    @HAL9000 if you fancied selling your Alligator i'd be up for buying it.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/