Orville Les Paul Calling @ICBM

What's Hot
starsky365starsky365 Frets: 3
edited March 2018 in Guitar
@ICBM ;;;;

ive been pointed to you from another forum as the font of all knowledge ;-)

currently lookin at an Orville LP but the serial number is concerning me - it dates to the Fuji-Gen factory but the number seems like it is stamped not printed and grey not back and it’s wonky; would you mind casting your oracle eye over it for me?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/253518207831
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    Batsignal received, but unfortunately you have exposed a glaring gap in my knowledge ... sadly I know nothing about these guitars, I don't think I've ever even seen one in person.

Probably best to edit the title to 'Orville Les Paul', that way you might attract someone who knows what they're on about!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers mate - thanks for the reply anyway
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    @ellwood has probably owned it at some point, ask him.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4675
    @ellwood had been buying a lot of jap Les Paul stuff maybe he could cast some light on this? 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited March 2018
    I think I've seen them before with that kind of stamp... it looks like a photo flame top, which would be the giveaway for it being a fujigen guitar.

In fact you can find only lot's of photoflame 93-98 fujigen orvilles with that sort of serial, ex:

http://vipjazz.ru/product_291.html
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    hi mate i was after one a while ago it didnt happen but what i found out on my research was their is wide spectrum from the cheap orville rosewood cheap pick ups and pots(still great guitars) to the ebony board binding good pick ups but guess what ? everyone sells their orville as a top of the range ...great guitars but tread carefully and buy the best 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    @russianbear is the man for all things Japanese
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    as with every brand orville had ranges of guitars, the flame maple specimens were around 80,000 yen, so middle of the range. They have veneer fake photo finished flame. Not bad guitars, but spec-wise not the best japanese examples either.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Jack_ said:
    @ellwood has probably owned it at some point, ask him.
    @ellwood had been buying a lot of jap Les Paul stuff maybe he could cast some light on this? 
    I’m thinking @ellwood might be able to help  ;)
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Not so much I’m afraid. I have had a couple of Orvilles and Orville by Gibson (which are generally regarded a little more highly). The Orville by Gibson R7 was an absolute stunner of a guitar.

It all comes down to personal choice. When looking at MIJ I tended to prefer Greco/Tokai, but I am far from an expert!!
  • My initial thoughts were to go Tokai but they’re fetching almost as much as a Gibson from the same era and I’m not sure a big fat bald bloke like me would do himself any justice with a guitar that says “Love Rocks” on it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What I’m after is a good solid LP, well built, nice player and pups - I’d love an early 90’s Gibson std but don’t have the budget. Someone else recommended a Burny but I’ve seen inconsistent build quality issues 
    Hope you saw my reply, and realise that the grey serial number is not out of the ordinary.

Being a really big fan of japanese LPs and having had lots of experience with all sorts of makes (middle of the road and high range), and considering your budget. I'd recommend you look after a greco mint collection.

Something like an EG59-65 or EG59-70.

What do you consider to be inconsistent build quality issues, by the way? Because I can think of many inconsistent quality issues on 90s gibson standards.

• Hey Broom; yes I did thanks I’m looking around at the Greco’s - sorry knickers in a twist Re inconsistencies- I was thinking of the Agile stuff that Rondo make...from what I’ve read you get a stunner or a lemon and not much in between. 
    Ahh that makes more sense. If I was in the 700£ range, I'd probably try something like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146163744@N08/sets/72157688583037510/

from japanguitars.co.uk

You might be able to find cheaper, but you'll have to look for it. Also note that one is relatively light, most japanese LPs can be on the heavy side.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    What I’m after is a good solid LP, well built, nice player and pups - I’d love an early 90’s Gibson std but don’t have the budget. Someone else recommended a Burny but I’ve seen inconsistent build quality issues 
    If your budget is £700 why not try a Gibson Les Paul Studio or one of the Tribute models?

Much easier to navigate around than older Japanese copies too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Their are some excellent Japanese Les Pauls, some pretty average ones, and some awful ones too.  Generally speaking if you want a vintage one that's great it's Gibson money or more.  The new Tokai are really nice, but if you're looking for nitro finish The Gibson tributes or studios are a better bet, and very nice they are too.
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    John_A said:
    Their are some excellent Japanese Les Pauls, some pretty average ones, and some awful ones too.  Generally speaking if you want a vintage one that's great it's Gibson money or more.  The new Tokai are really nice, but if you're looking for nitro finish The Gibson tributes or studios are a better bet, and very nice they are too.
    Would agree with checking out the Tribute route. They really are good. Or a second hand studio and a set of Oil City Tubesnakes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom