5-Way vs. 3-Way Opinions / Experiences

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Has anyone ever had a 2x pickup guitar with a 5-way blade switch instead of a 3-way blade and felt that they wished it had a 3-way (or changed it to one)?

In general I would be mostly interested in either neck, neck+bridge and bridge settings but I'm wondering if having a couple of coil split options on positions 2 & 4 would be worth adding "just on the off chance" and would have no downsides or would it be preferable to have just the 3 positions.

What I think could be troublesome might be switching to the middle position quickly in the middle of playing. Is this easy to do on a 3-way or is it still a bit trickier than switching to the extreme sides?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    Ibanez often does HH guitars with a five-way lever selector switch that offers the three obvious humbucker permutations plus couple of pseudo-Fender tones. 

Current Paul Reed Smith core series guitars use a circuit in which the 2 and 4 positions on the selector switch are one humbucker plus one coil from the other humbucker. My musical collaborator has a Custom 24 wire this way. He loves it. I prefer a hybrid of the Eighties and Nineties circuitry. I had to use a Freeway 3x3-03 switch to achieve the coil combinations that I desired.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Ibanez often does HH guitars with a five-way lever selector switch that offers the three obvious humbucker permutations plus couple of pseudo-Fender tones. 

Current Paul Reed Smith core series guitars use a circuit in which the 2 and 4 positions on the selector switch are one humbucker plus one coil from the other humbucker. My musical collaborator has a Custom 24 wire this way. He loves it. I prefer a hybrid of the Eighties and Nineties circuitry. I had to use a Freeway 3x3-03 switch to achieve the coil combinations that I desired.
    Do you ever have trouble switching quickly to the "2 full humbucker" setting? 

BTW, I bought that book you recommended, looks good, look forward to reading it!

thegummy said:
    Not particularly.

thegummy said:
    I bought that book you recommended, looks good, look forward to reading it!
    IMO, the book is a dull read but an invaluable reference source - especially once you reach that age when you begin to ...

... er ...

... forget stuff that you used to know.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28743
    You could always have a 3-way and a couple of push/push pots to do splits. Or a rotary switch to get up to 6 selections.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1818
    I don't like coil splits personally. I find the volume drop compared to full humbuckers them off little use and they don't sound close to proper single coils. I had a HH with a 3 way and individual push pull coil splits but rewired it to just a regular 3 way humbucker. Much better that way IMHO 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    Not particularly.
    I have just remembered why I don't have difficulty flipping to the middle position on a lever selector switch.
    1. I do not use that position as much as the others.
    2. Wherever possible, I use sprung switches.
    With the sprung CRL type switches, it is sufficient to move the switch knob just over half way towards the next *notch*. The spring finishes the task automatically.

Thus, on a five-way switch, neck pickup to middle is two short pushes on the switch knob in quick succession. There is no need to find the stopping point. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    I've had both 3 and 5 way on my Stormshadow DBS (basically an HH Strat.)
    It was a standard 3 way, and the 5 way was a Megaswitch P with PRS style switching.
    I liked the simplicity of the 3 way, but in the end went back to the 5 way as I missed the versatility. 
    Oddly though, on other guitars (SG, 335) that only ever had 3 ways, I've been quite happy.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    a three way is good fun but i would imagine a five way to be absolutely exhausting!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom