G&L Tribute ASAT Special - opinions please

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9741
edited March 2018 in Guitar
Anybody here got one? What do you think of it?
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    I had one which I sold a few years ago, it was very good, I didn't realise how good and should have kept it!
  • gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    If it's anywhere near as good as my Tribute Fallout, then I'm sure you would be very happy with it.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    I have one, it's my main guitar. I love it. 

Plus: the pickups are fantastic. Big wide hi-fi sounds, can do rock, jazz, country, anything. The locking bridge is very good.

Minutes: the pickups don't really sound like a classic tele, they are their own thing, and they can be a little hot for some things so you need to ride the volume a bit. Although, that said, I much prefer them to the smaller MFDs in the ASAT Classic.

Mine (which is a Korean one, so older) is really well made, I assume the current ones are as good. I replaced the pots with CTS but, if I am honest, I actually preferred the taper on the original tone control that was in it so I didn't really need to. When I bought mine (2008 ish) I AB'd with Mexican fenders which were a similar price point, and the Tribute was a much better guitar. Much better, imho, than PRS SEs in the same price range that I tried at the same time, too. Better fretwork, nicer feeling neck, _much_ better pickups.