SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Navigator N-LP-380/480 (Sorted)

What's Hot
brooombrooom Frets: 1175
edited March 2018 in Guitars £
Well, long shot, but that's it...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RebarRebar Frets: 134
    You might have a bit more success on the Tokai Forum. There are a lot of MIJ LP experts on there and I have seen a few of these pop up over the years. Mark aka 'Villager' from the forum has a website which includes many high-end MIJ , including Navigator http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/. I bought my Tokai LS320 from him and he was great to deal with. However, as he is a dealer there isn't much wiggle room on his asking prices. Best of luck with your search.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited March 2018
    Hi,

thanks, quite familiar with Mark's really cool website. Unfortunately he doesn't currently have the kind of guitar I'm looking for. But I've bought some grecos from him before.

The bigger issue with getting navigators from japan nowadays seems to be CITES, they're quite restrictive about it.

Thanks
  • RebarRebar Frets: 134
    Ah, ok. If you've bought from Mark before, then I guess you're also familiar with the MIJ sections of the popular Les Paul forums? They are rare, but if I see one in the near future, I'll try to remember this thread and forward you on the details.
    Thanks man, I appreciate that.
  • Steve-OSteve-O Frets: 37
    edited March 2018
    Any reason why you ask specifically for a 480? I know the numbers refer the price in yen (480,000) but the specs on slightly older models are almost identical no? I'm pretty sure ESP just increase the price without changing the important specs so you could get a 380 and save a bit of cash? Or am I missing something here?
    well actually looking at the older 380s that later became 480s, I don't really like the grain of the wood and the dye pigment being used. I now it's a small thing, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm already paying and second hand the difference is not that big anyways. So that's why.
    edited March 2018
    May I ask where you're getting your pictures from to compare. I'm just curious because I have reason to believe the guitars are almost identical in everything but price.
    edited March 2018
    Hi Steve-o you might be right, I was looking at a guitar that is currently on reverb from a UK dealer. He has it listed as being a 480, but on one of the pictures  from the documentation you can clearly see it's a 380. He also claims it's a 2011, but it definitely doesn't have a 2011 serial.

Also the back looks african mahogany not honduran, which made me think there was a diference between models. I got a feeling that this guitar is no what it seems though.

But this was enough to confuse for a while where I actually though that there would be a difference in spec between both models. So yeah ignore my comments above, I'd also be happy with a 380.
    I'm  not an expert on Navigator's. I have just had the pleasure of playing and owning a few over the years. I think there are some differences between the models in terms of hardware, specs, weight, but the important basics such as woods and workmanship, would be almost identical; in other words, the highest quality. However, prices have been creeping up recently. The latest Navigator LP's don't even have a number after them to designate the price but list for around 550,000!
    Hi Steve-O have you compared them to more recent historics?
    Sorry, no I haven't. Maybe someone here has?
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 327
    Beware Navigators do have a 280 model that is polyfinished and a bit cheaper, not sure if it's Honduran, but given the rarity I wouldn't be surprised for some to put it up as a 380 or 480.

I bought a navigator strat for Christmas via reverb, from Japan. They said no cites problem, and will be received in 3 days, turns out it was 5 with no import duties, but this was USA. Took the neck off and stuffed it into suitcase to sneak it into the U.K. It cost £1000 all in all.

last Navigator I bought in the U.K. was a 1980s Navigator les Paul and it was £1450.

prices are definitely creeping up!
    your best bet for a good deal is to find someone in Japan that does t have the usual issue with cites 

good luck! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah japan is quite strict on CITES right now. So not sure how easy that'll be.
    I agree with hydra. Are you interested in a custom or just the standard LP? 
    edited March 2018
    Hi,

just a standard one. But no rush really.

Thanks
    Sorted